In this paper, a novel suspended stripline IF block is proposed for the design of millimeter-wave finline balanced mixer which covers the full U-band. In high IF frequency applications, IF block of a finline mixer is needed to act as open terminal for IF signal, and is required to have minimum attenuation for LO signal. For the purpose of reducing the insertion loss of the IF block in the LO path, a novel compact low loss IF block is developed for the first time. Then the IF block, two Schottky diodes, a LPF, a finline to waveguide transition and a suspended stripline to waveguide transition are integrated together to compose the mixer. The RF port matching is designed by using impedance substitution method to achieve better RF return loss. The measured results show that a conversion loss of 4.1 to 9.6 dB over a 20 GHz instantaneous IF bandwidth has been achieved when sweeping RF from 40 to 60 GHz under fixed LO condition. The P-1dB at RF port is higher than 5 dBm, and the return loss of RF port is between -18 to -4 dB.
Ming Zhou Zhan,
"Design of Millimeter-Wave Wideband Mixer with a Novel IF Block," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 30, 41-52, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12041618
1. Mass, S. A., Nonlinear Microwave and RF Circuits, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Boston, 2003.
2. Raghbir, S., T. George, and K. Chang, "Design and performance of W-band broad-band integrated circuit mixers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, No. 3, 277-283, 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131476
3. Schwab, W., F. Boegelsack, and W. Menzel, "Multilayer suspended stripline and coplanar line filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 7, 1403-1407, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.299736
4. Huynen, I. and G. Dambrine, "A novel CPW DC-blocking topology with improved matching at W-band," IEEE Microwave and Guide Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 4, 149-151, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.663514
5. Strassner, B. and K. Chang, "New wide-band DC-block cymbal bandpass filter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques , Vol. 50, No. 5, 1431-1432, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999159
6. Uysal, S. and L. Lee, "Ku-band double-sided suspended substrate microstrip coupled-line bandpass filter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 13, 1088-1090, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990753
7. Menzel, W., M. S. Tito, and L. Zhu, "Low-loss ultra-wideband (UWB) filters using suspended stripline," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2148-2151, 2005.
8. Chen, Y., Y. Guo, M. Zhan, and R. Xu, "A broadband suspended stripline bandpass filter," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 804-806, 2009.
9. Zhao, W. , Y. Zhang, M. Zhan, Y. Chen, and R. Xu, "A simple method for millimeter-wave finline balanced mixer design using three-dimensional field simulation software," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 33, No. 1, 25-35, 2012. doi:10.1007/s10762-011-9843-0
10. Hislop, A. and R. T. Kihm, "A broad-band 40-60 GHz balanced mixer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 24, No. 1, 63-64, 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128772
11. Menzel, W. and H. Callsen, "Integrated fin-line components and subsystems at 60 and 94 GHz," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, No. 2, 142-146, 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131448
12. Thiel, W. and W. Menzel, "Full-wave design and optimization of mm-wave diode-based circuits in finline technique," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 12, 2460-2466, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.808993
13. Chapman, M. W. and S. Raman, "A 60 GHz uniplanar MMIC 4x sub-harmonic mixer," IEEE International Symposium Digest on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 95-98, 2001.
14. Dong, Y. , R. Bai, J. Xu, and L. Xue, "Wideband sub-harmonic mixer in bilateral finline at U-band," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 850-853, 2008. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2008.4540534
16. Tounsi, M. L., R. Touhami, A. Khodja, and M. C. E. Yagoub, "Analysis of the mixed coupling in bilateral microwave circuits including anisotropy for MICs and MMICs applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 281-315, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06020601
17. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Wideband bandpass filter design with threeline microstrip structures," Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, IEE Proceedings, Vol. 149, No. 56, 243-247, 2002. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20020572
18. Zhong, H. , R. Xu, and M. Zhan, "Design for Ka-band wideband bandpass filter with three-line microstrip structures," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 1, 351-353, 2008. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2008.4540384
19. Zhan, M., Q. Xu, W. Zhao, et al. "Planar W-band mixer with a novel IF-block," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 21, 205-215, 2011.