An electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is proposed to suppress the simultaneous switching noise (SSN) from 0.45 GHz to 5.3 GHz with an averaged suppression level of −66.4 dB. The design is based on the inductance enhancement by using meander lines to bridge slotted metal patches embedded into the power plane. Numerical simulation and experimental measurement are both used in the study for mutual verification. Compared to the conventional L-bridged EBG structure, the novel design increases the bandwidth by 15% and reduces the lower frequency by 150 MHz. A better omnidirectional SSN suppression is also achieved. For high-speed digital applications, the signal integrity is analyzed and improved.
"Design and Analysis of a Novel Electromagnetic Bandgap Structure for Suppressing Simultaneous Switching Noise," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 30, 81-91, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12042709
1. Swaminathan, M., J. Kim, I. Novak, and J. P. Libous, "Power distribution networks for system-on-package: Status and challenges," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 27, No. 2, 286-300, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2004.831897
2. Van den Berghe, S., F. Olyslager, D. De Zutter, J. De Moerloose, and W. Temmerman, "Study of the ground bounce caused by power plane resonances," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 40, No. 2, 111-119, May 1998. doi:10.1109/15.673616
3. Abhari, R. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Metallo-dielectric electro-magnetic bandgap structures for suppression and isolation of the parallel-plate noise in high-speed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1629-1639, June 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.812555
4. Wu, T. L. and T. K. Wang, "Embedded power plane with ultra-wide stop-band for simultaneously switching noise on high-speed circuits," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 4, 213-214, February 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063498
5. Sievenpipe, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, November 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
6. Lu, H. M., X. L. Zhang, Z. Y. Yu, and Y. M. Zhao, "Wideband GBN suppression in high-speed printed circuit boards and packages using double-side electromagnetic band-gap structure," The 8th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, 1093-1095, Kunming, China, 2008. doi:10.1109/ISAPE.2008.4735414
7. Wu, T. L. , C. C. Wang, Y. H. Lin, T. K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super-wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, March 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.844216
8. Kim, , K. H. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, January 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912199
9. Rao, P. H., "Hybrid electromagnetic bandgap power plane for ultra-wideband noise suppression," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 19, 981-982, September 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1554
10. Eom, D.-S., J. Byun, and H.-Y. Lee, "New structure of composite power plane using spiral EBG and external magnetic material for SSN suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 69-77, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10012104
11. Veysi, M. and M. Shafaee, "EBG frequency response tuning using an adjustable air-gap," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 31-39, November 2010.
12. Qin, J., O. M. Ramahi, and V. Granatstein, "Novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures for mitigation of switching noise and EMI reduction in high-speed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 3, 661-669, August 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.902193
13. Oh, S. S., J. M. Kim, J. H. Kwon, and J. G. Yook, "Enhanced power plane with photonic band gap structures for wide band ," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 655-658, 2005.
14. He, H.-S., X.-Q. Lai, Q. Ye, Q. Wang, W.-D. Xu, J.-G. Jiang, and M.-X. Zang, "Wideband SSN suppression in high-speed PCB using novel planar EBG," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 29-39, September 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10080102
15. Kim, , K. H. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Design of EBG power distribution networks with VHF-band cutoff frequency and small unit cell size for mixed-signal systems," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 489-491, July 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.899299