According to the intracellular electromanipulation model, bacteria can be killed at as high as 106 V/m electrical fields on microwave band. We designed and constructed a modified microwave coaxial cavity resonator for liquid sterilization. The cavity could concentrate the field on a very small area, and the liquid can pass it in milliseconds. The bacteria can be killed by the very high field, but with a slight temperature increase. The designed resonator is simulated and analyzed by the electromagnetic simulation code, the results indicated that when the input power reaches 100 W, the electric field on the area of liquid can reach 106 V/m. Preliminary experimental results indicated that when the input power was 100W, the bactericidal rate was > 90%, and the temperature of the liquid only increased 8.6°C.
"A 2.45 GHz
Reentarnt Coaxial Cavity for Liguid Sterilization Based on Non-Thermal Microwave Effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 33, 145-156, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12061704
1. Wu, Q., "Effect of high-power microwave on indicator bacteria for sterilization," IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 43, No. 7, 752-754, 1996. doi:10.1109/10.503183
2. Park, B. J., D. H. Lee, J. C. Park, I. S. Lee, K. Y. Lee, S. O. Hyun, M. S. Chun, and K. H. Chung, "Sterilization using a microwave-induced argon plasma system at atmospheric pressure," Physics of Plasmas, Vol. 10, No. 11, 4539-4544, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1613655
3. Chau, T. T., K. C. Kao, G. Blank, and F. Madrid, "Microwave plasmas for low-temperature dry sterilization," Biomaterials, Vol. 17, No. 13, 1273-1277, 1996. doi:10.1016/S0142-9612(96)80003-2
4. Moisan, M., J. Barbeau, M.-C. Crevier, J. Pelletier, N. Philip, and B. Saoudi, "Plasma sterilization: Methods and mechanisms," Pure and Applied Chemistry, Vol. 74, No. 3, 349-358, 2002. doi:10.1351/pac200274030349
5. Montie, T. C., K. Kelly-Wintenberg, and J. R. Roth, "An overview of research using the one atmosphere uniform glow discharge plasma for sterilization of surfaces and materials," IEEE Trans. Plasma Science, Vol. 28, No. 1, 41-50, 2000. doi:10.1109/27.842860
6. Wu, B. I., F. C. A. I. Cox, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental methodology for non-thermal effects of electromagnetic radiation on biologics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 533-548, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616829
7. Niu, Z. Q., J. Q. Hou, H. B. Wang, et al. "The window bioeffects of electromagnetic waves," Chinese Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, 126-132, 2003.
8. Tang, S. J., B. H. Wang, and J. K. Zhong, "Review on the investigation of the mechanism of the biological effects of the electromagnetic radiation," Foreign Medical Sciences, Vol. 21, No. 1, 20-23, 1998.
9. Xi, X. L., D. C. Wu, and G. Wang, "Research and development on microwave sterilization," Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 2, 334-336, 2002.
10. Angulo, L. D., S. G. Garcia, and M. F. Pantoja, "Improving the SAR distribution in petri-dish cell cultures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 815-826, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036322
11. Karl, H. S., S. J. Beebe, and E. S. Buescher, "Intracellular effect of ultrashort electrical pulses," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 22, No. 6, 440-448, 2001. doi:10.1002/bem.71
12. Karl, H. S. and R. P. Joshi, "Ultrashort electrical pulses open a new gateway into biological cells," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 29, No. 7, 1122-1137, 2004.
13. Ishihara, Y., Y. Gotanda, N. Wadamori, and J. Matsuda, "Hyperthermia applicator based on a reentrant cavity for localized head and neck tumors," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 78, 024301, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2437203
14. Barroso, J. J., P. J. Castro, J. P. L. Neto, and O. D. Aguiar, "Analysis and simulation of reentrant cylindrical cavities," Int. J. Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 8, 1071-1083, 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-7268-3
15. Carter, R. G., J. J. Feng, and U. Becker, "Calculation of the properties of reentrant cylindrical cavity resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2531-2537, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.909750
16. Zaginaylov, G. I. and I. V. Mitina, "Electromagnetic analysys of coaxial gyrotron cavity with the inner conductor having corrugations of an arbitrary shape ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 339-356, 2011.
17. Li, L. Q., C. H. Liang, and G. Li, "The design technique for coaxial resonator cavity duplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 105-114, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08033102
18. Zhang, H., B. Q. Zeng, and Z. H. Yang, "Simulation of the characteristics of electromagnetic field within the coaxial microwave sterilization equipment," Journal of the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Vol. 36, No. 2, 232-234, 2007.
19. Li, C. M., K. Wang, and C. K. Chen, "Small tri-band monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1297-1307, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762132