A wideband dual segment three element triangular dielectric resonator antenna (TDRA) has been proposed for applications in X-band. Proposed antenna has been fabricated and tested. The simulation study of the antenna is carried out using Ansoft HFSS simulation software. The simulation results for input characteristics and radiation patterns of the proposed antenna are compared with corresponding experimental results at the resonant frequency. The simulation results are in agreement with measurements. The return loss-frequency characteristics of the proposed antenna are also compared with those of single element, and three element TDRAs.
1. Richtinyer, R. D., "Dielectric resonators," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 10, 391-398, June 1939. doi:10.1063/1.1707320
2. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, 406-412, May 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
3. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhaci, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, June 1998. doi:10.1109/74.706069
4. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press Ltd., Hertfordshire, U.K., 2002.
5. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, " Dielectric resonator antennas - A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," Int. J. Microw. Millimeter-Wave Computer-Aided Eng., Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040304
7. Ge, Y. and K. P. Esselle, "A dielectric resonator antenna for UWB applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, 1-4, June 1-5, 2009.
8. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband stair-shaped dielectric resonator antennas," IET Microw, Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 299-305, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060029
9. Kishk, A. A., B. Ahn, and D. Kajfez, "Broadband stacked dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 25, No. 18, 1232-1233, 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890826
10. Kishk, A. A., X. Zhang, A. W. Glisson, and D. Kajfez, "Numerical analysis of stacked dielectric resonator antenna excited by a coaxial probe for wideband applications ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1996-2005, August 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.814735
11. Sharkawy, M. H. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Stacked elliptical dielectric resonator antennas for wideband," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1371-1374, 2004.
12. Mongia, R. K., A. Ittipiboon, P. Bhartia, and M. Cuhaci, "Electric monopole antenna using a dielectric ring resonator," Elect. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 17, 1530-1531, August 19, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19931019
13. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Four-element cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband monopole-like radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2657-2662, September 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.880766
14. Chaudhary, R. K., K. V. Srivastava, and A. Biswas, "An investigation on three element multilayer cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna excited by a coaxial probe for wideband applications," Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE) , 2010.
15. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "New half-hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna for broadband monopole-type radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3621-3628, December 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.886547
16. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Quarter of a hemispherical dielectric resonator: New geometry explored to design a wideband monopole-type antenna," The XXIXth URSI General Assembly, 2008.
17. Gangwar, R. K., S. P. Singh, and D. Kumar, "Simulation study of four element rectangular dielectric resonator antenna array terminated in a bio-medium," IEEE Applied Electromagnetic Conference (AEMC) , Kolkata, December 14-16, 2009.
18. Lo, H. Y., K. W. Leung, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low profile equilateral-triangular dielectric resonator antenna of very high permittivity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 25, 2164-2166, December 9, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19991459
19. Lo, H. Y. and K. W. Leung, "Excitation of low profile equilateral-triangular dielectric resonator antenna using a conductive conformal strip," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 5, 317-319, June 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1166
20. Yoshihiko, A., "Operation modes of a waveguide Y circulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, 954-960, November 1974.
21. Lo, H. Y., K. W. Leung, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low profile triangular dielectric resonator antenna,"-Department of Electronic EngineeringCity University of Hong Kong, 83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China, 2000.