This paper proposes a compact zeroth-order resonant (ZOR) antenna with improved gain and efficiency. The proposed CRLH unit cell is based on the coplanar waveguide (CPW) structure. The proposed ZOR antenna is designed for a 2.45 GHz frequency band, and it has the characteristic of monopolar radiation. Shunt inductance is implemented by microstrip short-circuit stubs, and a metal-isolator-metal (MIM) capacitator provides series capacitance, where a large capacitance can be achieved in a small footprint. The proposed antenna comprises two interleaving composite right-/left-handed CRLH unit cells, where the size of one unit cell is measured at only 0.12λ0 x 0.098λ0. Because the field is loosely confined within the CPW-based unit cell, a good antenna peak gain of 2.03 dBi, and a radiation efficiency of over 68% is achieved when fabricated on a thin substrate. The proposed antenna did not require an additional matching network, reducing the total antenna footprint. This paper presents antenna parameters such as the return loss, radiation pattern, antenna gain, and radiation efficiency to validate the proposed design, which achieved good simulation results.
"Compact CPW-Based Zeroth-Order Resonant Antenna with Interleaving CRLH Unit Cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 40, 119-130, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13031908
1. Sanada, A., M. Kimura, I. Awai, H. Kubo, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "A planar zeroth-order resonator antenna using left-handed transmission line," Proc. Eur. Microwave Conf., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Oct. 2004.
2. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, J.-G. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "A zeroth-order resonator antenna using epsilon negative meta-structured transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., 3480-3483, Honolulu, USA, Jun. 2007.
3. Choi, J. and S. Lim, "Frequency reconfigurable metamaterial resonant antenna," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Confe., Vol. 3, 798-801, Singapore, Dec. 2009.
4. Kim, T.-G. and B. Lee, "Metamaterial-based compact zeroth-order resonant antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 15, No. 1, 12-13, Jan. 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20092715
5. Baek, S. and S. Lim, "Miniaturised zeroth-order antenna on spiral slotted ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 20, 1012-1013, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.2117
6. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Miniaturized zeroth order resonance antenna over a reactive impedance surface," Proc. IEEE iWAT Int. Workshop, 58-61, 2011.
7. Liu, C.-C., P.-L. Chi, and Y.-D. Lin, "Compact zeroth-order resonant antenna based on dual-arm spiral configuration," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 318-321, 2012.
8. Shin, D. H. and T. Itoh, "A note on radiation loss of zeroth order resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 109-116, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08021605
9. Fashi, A. A., M. Kamyab, and M. Barati, "A microstrip smallsized array antenna based on the meta-material zeroth-order resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 89-101, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10032302
10. Jang, T., J. Choi, and S. Lim, "Compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth-order resonant antennas with extended band-width and high efficiency on vialess single layer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 363-372, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096191
11. Lee, H. M. and T. J. Cho, "Co-planar waveguide-fed zeroth-order resonant antenna with improved gain and efficiency," Proc. IEEE iWAT Int. Workshop, 388-391, 2011.
13. Lai, C.-P., S.-C. Chiu, H.-J. Li, and S.-Y. Chen, "Zeroth-order resonator antennas using inductor-loaded and capacitor-loaded CPWs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3448-3453, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2161561
14. Zermane, A., B. Sauviac, B. Bayard, B. Payet-Gervy, J. J. Rouseau, and A. Benghalia, "Modeling and measurement of a zeroth-order-resonator and a composite right-left-handed transmission line in coplanar technology," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 14, , 33-43, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10042805
15. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2006.
16. Cai, M., P. S. Kooi, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "Symmetrical coplanar waveguide with finite ground plane," Microwave Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 218-220, Mar. 1993. doi:10.1002/mop.4650060320
17. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891845