Circularly polarized millimeter-wave travelling-wave antennas, using substrate integrated circuits (SICs) technology, are designed, fabricated and tested. By using the SICs technology, compact antennas with low losses in the feeding structure and with good design accuracy are obtained. The elementary antenna which is composed of two inclined slots is characterized by full-wave simulations. This characterization is used for the design and development of linear antenna arrays with above 16 dB gain and low side lobe level (<-25 dB), using di®erent power aperture distributions, namely uniform, Tchebychev and Taylor. Experimental results are presented at 77 GHz showing that the proposed antennas present good performances in terms of impedance matching, gain and axial ratio. These antennas have potential applications in integrated transceivers for communication and radar systems at millimeter-wave frequencies.
1. Yang, J., G. Pyo, C.-Y. Y. Kim, and S. Hong, "A 24-GHz CMOS UWB radar transmitter with compressed pulses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 1117-1125, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2184136
2. Lee, S., S. Kong, C.-Y.. Kim, and S. Hong, "A low-power K-band CMOS UWB radar transceiver IC for short range detection," Proc. IEEE Radio Frequ. Integra. Circuits Symp., 503-506, Daejeon, South Korea, 2012.
3. Hasch, J., E. E. Topak, R. Schnabel, T. Zwick, R. Weigel, and C. Waldschmidt, "Millimeter-wave technology for automotive radar sensors in the 77 GHz frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 4, 845-860, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2178427
4. Fisher, A., A. Stelzer, and L. Maurer, "A 77-GHz antenna and fully integrated radar transceiver in package," IEEE International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 4, 447-453, 2012. doi:10.1017/S1759078712000049
5. Perahia, E., C. Cordeiro, M. Park, and L. L. Yang, "IEEE 802.11ad: Defning the next generation multi-Gbps wi-fi (CCNC)," Proceedings IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 1-5, Hillsboro, USA, 2010.
6. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
7. El Mostrah, A., B. Potelon, E. Rius, C. Quendi, J. Favennec, and H. Leblond, "Comparative study of two C-band SIW filter topologies for a space application," Proc. European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 368-371, Brest, France, 2012.
8. Lian, W. and W. Hong, "Substrate integrated coaxial line 3 dB coupler," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 1, 35-36, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.2708
9. Djerafi, T., J. Gauthier, and K. Wu, "Variable coupler for Butler beam-forming matrix with low sidelobe level," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 9, 1034-1039, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0297
10. Djera, T., M. Daigle, H. Boutayeb, X. P. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide six-port broadband front-end circuit for millimeter-wave radio and radar systems," Proc. European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 77-80, Roma, Italy, 2009.
11. Liu, J. H., D. R. Jackson, and Y.-L. L. Lon, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) leaky-wave antenna with transverse slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 20-29, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167910
12. Chen, J.-X. X., W. Hong, Z. Hao, P. Yan, X. Zhu, J.-Y. Y. Zhou, C. Peng, and K. Wu, "Development of a single board microwave sub-system based on substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology," Proc. IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT),, 1-3, Montreal, Canada, 2012.
13. Li, Z. and K. Wu, "24-GHz frequency-modulation continuous-wave radar front-end system-on-substrate," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 278-285, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.914363
14. Han, L. and K. Wu, "24-GHz integrated radio and radar system capable of time-agile wireless communication and sensing," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 3, 619-631, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2179552
15. Nematollahi, H., H. Boutayeb, and K. Wu, "Mm-wave circularly polarized SIW traveling-wave antennas," Proc. European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Roma, Italy, 2009.
16. Zhang, Q. F. and Y. L. Lu, "45o linearly polarized substrate integrated waveguide-fed slot array antennas," Proc. IEEE Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1214-1217, Nanjing, China, 2008.
17. Peters, F. D., S. O. Tatu, and T. Denidni, "Design of beamforming slot antenna arrays using substrate integrated waveguide," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Society Intern Symp. (APSURSI), 1-2, Spokane, USA, 2011.
18. Chen, P., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, and J. Xu, "A substrate integrated waveguide circular polarized slot radiator and its linear array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1225-1536, 2009.