A single-layer wideband printed antenna for dual-polarized applications is proposed in this paper. Two orthogonal linear polarizations are achieved by adopting a hybrid feeding technique. The horizontal polarization is excited by an aperture-coupled microstrip feed line while the coplanar waveguide (CPW) feed line is responsible for the vertical polarization. Measurements demonstrate a fairly wide common impedance bandwidth of 56.3% (1.61-2.87 GHz) with SWR ≤ 2 could be achieved. By loading a rectangular patch in the narrow rectangular slot, the isolation between two ports can be improved to better than 40dB over the entire bandwidth. Moreover, the average gains of the proposed antenna are about 5.8 dBi and 5 dBi for port 1 and port 2, respectively.
1. Barba, M., "A high-isolation, wideband and dual-linear polarization patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1472-1476, May 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.922889
2. Shavit, R., Y. Tzur, and D. Spirtus, "Design of a new dual-frequency and dual-polarization microstrip element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1443-1451, Jul. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.813594
3. Croq, F. and D. M. Pozar, "Millimeter wave design of wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antennas," EEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 1770-1776, Dec. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.121599
4. Lai, H. W. and K. M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 2625-2627, Sep. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.904158
5. Xie, J. J., Y. Z. Yin, J. H. Wang, and X. L. Liu, "Wideband dual-polarised electromagnetic-fed patch antenna with high isolation and low cross-polarisation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 171-173, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3934
6. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A dual-polarization slot antenna using a compact CPW feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 191-194, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044865
7. Wang, A., W. Chen, Z. Feng, and H. Zhang, "Compact dual-polarized antenna combining printed monopole and half-slot antenna for MIMO applicaion," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propogat. Soc. Symp., 1-4, Charieston, SC, Jun. 2009.
8. Chen, W. and P. Hsu, "A slot dipole antenna with polarization diversity for WLAN application," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propogat. Soc. Symp., 8-12, Chicago, IL, Jul. 2012.
9. Jiang, X. L., Z. J. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. H. Feng, "A wideband dual-polarized slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1010-1013, Jul. 2013.
10. Azadegan, R. and K. Sarabandi, "A novel approach for miniaturization of slot antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 3, 421-429, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809853