A generalization propagator method (GPM) is presented. It is the extension of traditional propagator method (PM). In order to make full use of the received data, many propagators are structured according to different block structures of array manifold. By these propagators, a high order matrix is obtained in a symmetric mode, and it is orthogonal with array manifold. Based on this matrix, a generalization spectral function is obtained to solve the problem of direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation by spectral peak searching. Moreover, in order to avoid spectral peak searching, a generalization root-propagator method (GRPM) is also proposed, and shows excellent estimation precision. Numerical simulations demonstrate the performance of the proposed method.
1. Min, S., D. K. Seo, B. H. Lee, M. Kwon, and Y. H. Lee, "Direction of-arrival tracking scheme for DS/CDMA systems: Direction lock loop," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communication, Vol. 3, No. 99, 191-202, 2004. doi:10.1109/TWC.2003.821215
2. Huang, X., Y. J. Guo, and J. D. Bunton, "A hybrid adaptive antenna array," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communication, Vol. 9, No. 5, 1770-1779, 2010. doi:10.1109/TWC.2010.05.091020
3. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143830
4. Wang, Q. H., L. D. Wang, K. An, Z. X. Shou, and H. X. Zhang, "DOA estimation of smart antenna signal based on MUSIC algorithm," Journal of Networks, Vol. 9, No. 5, 1309-1316, 2014.
5. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Performance analysis of root-MUSIC," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1939-1949, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.45540
6. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.32276
7. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divide technique and interporlated ESPRIT algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011904
8. Ottersten, B., M. Viberg, and T. Kailath, "Performance analysis of the total least squares ESPRIT algorithm," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 39, No. 5, 1122-1135, 1991. doi:10.1109/78.80967
9. Qian, C., L. Huang, and H. C. So, "Computationally efficient ESPRIT algorithm for direction-of-arrival estimation based on Nystrom method," Signal Processing, Vol. 94, No. 1, 74-80, 2013.
10. Stoica, P. and A. Nehorai, "MUSIC, maximum likelihood and Cramer-Rao bound," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 5, 720-741, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.17564
11. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, M. Benedetti, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "The M-DSO-ESPRIT method for maximum likelihood DOA estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 477-497, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121106
12. Marcos, S., Marsal, and A. Benidir, "The propagator method for source bearing estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 121-138, 1995. doi:10.1016/0165-1684(94)00122-G
13. Tayem, N. and H. M. Kwon, "L-shape 2-dimensional arrival angle estimation with propagator method," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1622-1630, 2005.
14. Gan, L., W. F. Lin, X. Y. Luo, and P. Wei, "Estimation 2-D angle of arrival with a cross-correlation matrix," Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, Vol. 36, No. 5, 667-671, 2013. doi:10.1080/02533839.2012.734590
15. Si, W. J., L. T. Wan, L. Liu, and Z. Tian, "Fast estimation of frequency and 2-D DOAs for cylindrical conformal array antenna using STATE-SPACE and propagator method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 51-71, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121114
16. Zheng, Z. and G. J. Li, "Fast DOA estimation of incoherently distributed sources by novel propagator," Multidim Syst. Sign. Process., Vol. 57, No. 1, 255-270, 2013.