This study proposes an accurate estimation of whole-body averaged specific absorption rate (WBA-SAR) for far-field exposure of an isolated human body in the frequency range of 10-200 MHz based on a lossy homogenous cylindrical antenna model of the human body. Equations are derived for the total induced axial current and the whole-body averaged SAR based on a rigorous treatment of cylindrical antenna theory. An explicit formula for the resonance frequency in terms of the anatomical parameters and the dielectric properties of the body is proposed for the first time. Moreover, important phenomena in far-field radio frequency (RF) dosimetry, such as, the cause of resonance and the SAR frequency characteristics are discussed from an antenna theory perspective.
1., ICNIRP (International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection), "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz)," Health Phys., Vol. 74, No. 4, 494-522, 1998.
2., IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), "IEEE standard for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz," Health Phys., C95-1, 2005.
3. Durney, C. H., "Electromagnetic dosimetry for models of humans and animals: A review of theoretical and numerical techniques," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 68, 33-40, 1980. doi:10.1109/PROC.1980.11578
4. Ghandi, O. P., "State of the knowledge for electromagnetic absorbed dose in man and animals," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 68, No. 1, 24-32, 1980. doi:10.1109/PROC.1980.11577
5. Dimbylow, P. J., "FDTD calculations of the whole-body average SAR in an anatomically realistic voxel model of the human body from 1MHz to 1 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 42, No. 3, 479-490, 1997. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/42/3/003
6. Dimbylow, P. J., "Fine resolution calculations of SAR in the human body for frequencies up to 3 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 47, No. 16, 2835-2846, 2002. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/47/16/301
7. Wang, J., O. Fujiwara, S. Kodera, and S. Watanabe, "FDTD calculation of whole-body average SAR in adult and child models for frequencies from 30MHz to 3 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 51, No. 17, 4119-4127, 2006. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/51/17/001
8. King, R. W. P. and S. S. Sandler, "Electric fields and currents induced in organs of the human body when exposed to ELF and VLF electromagnetic fields," Radio Science, Vol. 31, No. 5, 1153-1167, 1996. doi:10.1029/96RS01313
9. Poljak, D. and V. Roje, "Currents induced in human body exposed to the power line electromagnetic field," Proc. 20th Annu. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc., Vol. 6, 3281-3284, 1998.
10. Ghandi, O. P. and J. Chen, "Numerical dosimetry at power-line frequencies using anatomically based models," Bioelectromagnetics Suppl., Vol. 13, No. S1, 43-60, 1992. doi:10.1002/bem.2250130706
11. King, R. W. P., "Electric current and electric field induced in the human body when exposed to an incident electric field near the resonant frequency," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1537-1543, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.869005
12. Ghandi, O. P., J. Chen, and A. Riazi, "Currents induced in a human being for plane-wave exposure conditions 0-50MHz and for RF sealers," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 33, No. 8, 757-767, 1986.
13. Dimbylow, P. J., A. Hirata, and T. Nagaoka, "Intercomparison of whole-body averaged SAR in European and Japanese voxel phantoms," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 53, No. 20, 5883-5897, 2008. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/53/20/022
14. Nagaoka, T., S. Watanabe, K. Sakurai, E. Kunieda, S. Watanabe, M. Taki, and Y. Yamanaka, "Development of realistic high-resolution whole-body voxel models of Japanese adult males and females of average height and weight, and application of models to radio-frequency electromagnetic-field dosimetry," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 49, No. 1, 1-15, 2004. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/49/1/001
15. Gabriel, S., R. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 41, No. 11, 2271-2293, 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/003
16. Taylor, C. D., W. H. Charles, and A. A. Eugene, "Resistive receiving and scattering antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, No. 3, 371-376, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138944
17. King, R. W. P. and S. Prasad, Fundamental Electromagnetic Theory and Applications, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cli®s, USA, 1986.
18. Heymsfield, S. B., A. Martin-Nguyen, T. M. Fong, M. Tung, D. Gallagher, and A. Pietrobelli, "Body circumferences: Clinical implications emerging from a new geometric model," Nutr. Metab., Vol. 5, 24, 2008. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-5-24
19. Martinsen, O. G., S. Grimnes, and H. P. Schwan, "Interface phenomena and dielectric properties of biological tissue," Encyclopedia of Surface and Colloid Science, Vol. 20, 2643-2653, 2002.
20. Hume, R., "Prediction of lean body mass from height and weight," J. Clin. Pathol., Vol. 19, No. 4, 389-391, 1966. doi:10.1136/jcp.19.4.389
21. Hirata, A., O. Fujiwara, T. Nagaoka, and S. Watanabe, "Estimation of whole-body average SAR in human models due to plane-wave exposure at resonance frequency," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 41-48, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2009.2035613
22. Nagaoka, T., E. Kunieda, and S.Watanabe, "Proportion-corrected scaled voxel models for Japanese children and their application to the numerical dosimetry of specific absorption rate for frequencies from 30MHz to 3 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 53, 6695-6711, 2008. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/53/23/004
23. El Habachi, A., E. Conil, A. Hadjem, E. Vazquez, F. M. Wong, A. Gati, G. Fleury, and J. Wiart, "Statistical analysis of whole-body absorption depending on anatomical human characteristics at a frequency of 2.1 GHz," Nutr. Metab., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1875-1887, 2010.
24. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143080
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA, 2005.
26. Kibret, B., A. K. Teshome, and D. T. H. Lai, "Human body as antenna and its effect on human body communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 193-207, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14061207