In this paper, a microstrip-fed hexagonal shape ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with triple band-notched characteristics is presented. The antenna consists of a microstrip feed line, a regular hexagonal shape radiation patch with a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) and a pair of inverted T-shaped conductor-backed planes embedded in the antenna backside. Notched bands can be easily controlled by geometry parameters of the CSRR and conductor-backed planes. The simulated and measured results show that this monopole UWB antenna can offer an operation frequency from 2.93 GHz to 10.04 GHz with -10 dB return loss bandwidth, except three notched bands at 3.31-3.78 GHz, 5.33-5.77 GHz and 7.24-7.72 GHz for rejecting the WiMAX and downlink of X band satellite communication system signals. A good agreement between the measured and simulated results is observed. The proposed antenna provides broadband impedance matching, appropriate gain and stable radiation patterns over its operating bandwidth and can be used in wireless UWB applications.
"Design of a Microstrip-Fed Hexagonal Shape UWB Antenna with Triple Notched Bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 62, 77-87, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101701
1. Federal Communication Commission, "First report and order, revision of part 15 of the commissions rule regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems,", Technical report, Washington, DC, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
2. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045179
3. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, 520-526, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/8.660976
4. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1203133
5. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 2, 146-150, Apr. 2003.
6. Mandal, T. and S. Das, "Design of a CPW fed simple hexagonal shape UWB antenna with WLAN and WiMAX band rejection characteristics," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 1, SI, 300-308, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/APS.2004.1331883
7. Yang, T. and W. A. Davis, "Planar half-disk antenna structures for ultra-wideband communications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004, Vol. 3, 2508-2511, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929459
8. Dastranj, A., A. Imani, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Printed wide-slot antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3097-3102, Oct. 2008.
9. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Compact tapered-shape slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1190-1193, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2158629
10. Ghaderi, M. R. and F. Mohajeri, "A compact hexagonal wide-slot antenna with microstrip-fed monopole for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 682-685, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1007/s11277-014-2162-8
11. Fakharian, M. M., P. Rezaei, and A. Azadi, "A planar UWB bat-shaped monopole antenna with dual band-notched for WiMAX/WLAN/DSRC," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 81, No. 2, 881-891, Mar. 2015.
12. Shaalan, A. A. and M. I. Ramadan, "Design of a compact hexagonal monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Journal of Infrared Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 31, No. 8, 958-968, Aug. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000724
13. Bialkowski, M. E. and A. M. Abbosh, "Design of UWB planar antenna with improved cut-off at the out-of-band frequencies," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 408-410, May 2008.
14. Sharma, M. M., J. K. Deegwal, M. C. Govil, and Ashok Kumar, "Compact printed ultra-wideband antenna with two notched stop bands for WiMAX and WLAN," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 47, No. 2, 523-532, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2223434
15. Sung, Y., "Triple band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna using a modified H-shaped resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 953-957, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046839
16. Wu, S.-J., C.-H. Kang, K.-H. Chen, and J.-H. Tarng, "Study of an ultrawideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1890-1897, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1007/s11277-014-2130-3
17. Ojaroudi, Y., S. Ojaroudi, and N. Ojaroudi, "A novel 5.5/7.5 GHz dual band-stop antenna with modified ground plane for UWB communications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 81, No. 1, 319-332, Mar. 2015.
18. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Chapter 3, Wiley-IEEE Press, Dec. 2000.
19. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
20. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908792
21. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Prediction of the notch frequency of slot loaded printed UWB antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3320-3325, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2006.249850
22. Lee, W.-S., J.-H. Kim, W.-G. Lim, K.-S. Son, H. S. Lim, and J.-W. Yu, "Capacitively coupled band-stop filter with an integrated antenna," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2006, 2019-2022, Jun. 2006.
23. Bousbia, L., M. Mabrouk, and A. Ghazel, "Study and modeling of T and L shaped resonators for UWB band pass filter," EUROCON, 2013 IEEE, 1857-1861, Jul. 2013.