A compact multiband omnidirectional antenna for the reception of GNSS signals on artillery projectiles is designed in this paper. The proposed antenna consists of a metallic cone comprising a T-shaped monopole. It exhibits a broad bandwidth from 1.22 GHz to 1.28 GHz and from 1.44 GHz to 1.75 GHz, covering GPS L1, Galileo E2-L1-E1, GLONASS G1 and G2, CNSS B1 and B3. Measured results show that an omnidirectional radiation pattern is achieved, and the non-circularity in the azimuthal plane (xy-plane) is less than 2 dB for all the desired bands. Then the measured 6 dB beamwidth is about 110° in the presence of a finite 20 millimeters (mm) radius ground plane. Such an antenna has the potential to be easily used for small artillery projectiles.
"A Compact Multiband Omnidirectional GNSS Antenna for Artillery Projectiles Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 62, 149-156, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16011202
1. Li, J., H. Shi, H. Li, and A. Zhang, "Quad-band probe-fed stacked annular patch antenna for GNSS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 372-375, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2306442
2. Bang, J.-H., B. Enkhbayar, D.-H. Min, and B.-C. Ahn, "A compact GPS antenna for artillery projectile applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 266-269, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2135830
4. Yu, D., S.-X. Gong, Y.-T. Wan, and W.-F. Chen, "Omnidirectional dual-band dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna using TM01 and TM02 modes," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1104-1107, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2341041
5. Huang, H.-C., J.-C. Lu, and P. Hsu, "A compact dual-band printed Yagi-Uda antenna for GNSS and CMMB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 5, 2342-2348, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2406914
6. Li, W.-M., B. Liu, and H.-Y. Zhao, "Parallel rectangular open slots structure in multiband printed antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1161-1164, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2393632
7. Park, B.-Y., M.-H. Jeong, and S.-O. Park, "A magneto-dielectric handset antenna for LTE/WWAN/GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1482-1485, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2342256
8. Jagnow, P. G. and W. C. Jennings, "Artillery fuse antenna for positioning and telemetry,", US Patent No. 6020854, Feb. 1, 2000.
9. Zhang, Y.-Q., J.-W. Rong, X. Li, L. Yang, and S.-X. Gong, "Novel wideband omnidirectional antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 40, 257-267, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13050401
10. Saurav, K., D. Sarkar, and K. V. Srivastava, "CRLH unit-cell loaded multiband printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 852-855, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2320918
11. Quan, X. L., R.-L. Li, J. Y. Wang, and Y. H. Cui, "Development of a broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional planar antenna and its array for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 441-456, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12042405
12. Tze-Meng, O., K. G. Tan, and A. W. Reza, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 363-376, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10052411
13. Hsieh, W.-T. and J.-F. Kiang, "Small broadband antenna composed of dual-meander folded loop and disk-loaded monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1716-1720, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2122236
14. Ma, J., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-G. Zhou, and L.-Y. Zhao, "Design of a new wideband low-profile conical antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2620-2623, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24713
15. Aten, D. W. and R. L. Haupt, "A wideband, low profile, shorted top hat monocone antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4485-4491, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207313
16. Rama Rao, B., W. Kunysz, R. Fante, and K. McDonald, GPS/GNSS Antennas, Artech House, 2013.
17. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For all Applications, New York, 2002.