Antenna characteristics including mutual coupling and polarization/depolarization have great effects on the performance of Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) system. In this paper, new close-form expressions of signal vector, signal power and signal correlation incorporating mutual coupling and polarization/depolarization are derived firstly. On this basis, we presents a new MIMO channel model, which takes into account antenna effects such as mutual coupling and antenna polarization, as well as propagation effects like scattering, clustering and channel depolarization. In particular, the detailed expressions of a 2×2 MIMO channel considering mutual coupling and polarization configurations of slanted ±45° and V/H are derived. Finally, these expressions are applied on the propagation scene of suburban macro cellular to analyze the channel correlation and capacity, which is very helpful in designing and optimizing a MIMO system.
1. Shi, D. S., G. J. Foschini, and M. J. Gans, "Fading correlation and its effect on the capacity of multi-element antenna systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 48, No. 3, 502-513, 2000. doi:10.1109/26.837052
2. Lau, B. K. and J. B. Andersen, "Simple and efficient decoupling of compact arrays with parasitic scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 464-472, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173440
3. Masouros, C., M. Sellathurai, and T. Ratnarajah, "Large-scale MIMO transmitters in fixed physical spaces: The effect of transmit correlation and mutual coupling," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 61, No. 7, 2794-2804, 2013. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2013.052013.120440
4. Wu, Y., J. W. M. Bergmans, and S. Attallah, "Effects of antenna correlation and mutual coupling on the carrier frequency offset estimation in MIMO systems," IEEE Conference on Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), 1-4, 2010.
5. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Häggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of MIMO wireless channels in high SNR scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06072803
6. Gesbert, D., M. Shafi, and D. Shiu, "From theory to practice: An overview of MIMO space-time coded wireless systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 281-302, 2003. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2003.809458
7. Varzakas, P., "Average channel capacity for Rayleigh fading spread spectrum MIMO systems," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1081-1087, 2006. doi:10.1002/dac.784
8. Valenzuela-Valdes, J. F., et al., "Evaluation of true polarization diversity for MIMO systems," Ophthalmic Surgery, Vol. 25, No. 10, 690-694, 2009.
9. Huang, L. Q. and Y. W. Guo, "Channel capacity of MIMO wireless systems in the presence of prolarization diversity," Journal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 28, No. 8, 1443-1446, 2006.
10. Shafi, M., M. Zhang, and A. L. Moustakas, "Polarized MIMO channels in 3-D: Models, measurements and mutual information," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 24, No. 3, 514-527, 2006. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2005.862398
11. Dao, M. T., V. A. Nguyen, and Y. T. Im, "3D polarized channel modeling and performance comparison of MIMO antenna configurations with different polarizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 7, 2672-2682, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152319
12. Lu, W., Y. Liu, and D. Wang, "Capacity performance of polarized distributed MIMO system on Rician channel," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 68, No. 3, 1047-1066, 2013. doi:10.1007/s11277-011-0498-x
13. Joung, H., H.-S. Jo, C. Mun, and J.-G. Yook, "Capacity loss due to polarization-mismatch and space-correlation on MISO channel," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2124-2136, 2014. doi:10.1109/TWC.2014.031314.131079
14. Clerckx, B., et al., "Impact of antenna coupling on 2 × 2 MIMO communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 56, No. 3, 1009-1018, 2007. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.895545
15. Zhao, J., Y. Li, and G. Sun, "Analysis of antenna mutual coupling in the X-type polarization diversity system," IEEE Conference on Wireless Communications, 1-4, 2009.
16. Wu, S., C. X. Wang, and E. H. M. Aggoune, "A non-stationary 3-D wideband twin-cluster model for 5G massive MIMO channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1207-1218, 2014. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2014.2328131
17. Zhang, J. H., C. Pan, and F. Pei, "Three-dimensional fading channel models: A survey of elevation angle research," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 6, 218-226, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6829967