In this paper, an effective numerical method based on a new surface impedance model is applied to the accurate calculation of the radar cross section of lossy conducting targets. The problem of determining the scattered electromagnetic fields from rectangular lossy conducting strips is presented and treated in detail. This problem is modeled by the method of moments to resolve integral equations of the first kind of surface current density with an accurate choice of basis and test functions. The illustrative computation results of complex surface impedance, surface current density and radar cross section are given for several cases. The accuracy of the method presented in this paper is verified by comparison with other methods, including the general-purpose full-wave simulators HFSS and CST.
12. Bancroft, R., Understanding Electromagnetic Scattering Using the Moment Method, Artech House, London, 1996.
13. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, S., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and Z. Masouri, "A moment method simulation of electromagnetic scattering from conducting bodies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 99-119, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07122502
15. Hamham, E.M., F.Mesa, F.Medina, and M. Khalladi, "A surface-impedance Quasi-TEM approach for the efficient calculation of conductor losses in multilayer single and coupled microstrip lines," IET, Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 5, 519-526, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0362
16. Hamham, E. M., "Application of Quasi-TEM surface impedance approach to calculate inductance, resistance and conductor losses of multiconductor microstrip line system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 50, 85-93, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM16070203
17. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, S. and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "New numerical method for determining the scattered electromagnetic fields from thin wires," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 207-218, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121303
18. Danesfahani, R., S. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, E. Babolian, and Z. Masouri, "A scheme for RCS determination using wavelet basis," Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 64, 757-765, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2009.06.004
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
20. Marqués, R., J. Aguilera, F. Medina, and M. Horno, "On the use of the surface impedance approach in the quasi-TEM analysis of lossy and superconducting strip lines," Mic. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 7, 391-394, 1993. doi:10.1002/mop.4650060702
21. Aguilera, J., R. Marqués, and M. Horno, "Quasi-TEM surface impedance approaches for the analysis of MIC and MMIC transmission lines, including both conductor and substrate losses," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1553-1558, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.392914