A compact ultra-wideband planar monopole antenna with a notched band at WLAN frequencies is presented. The antenna is fed using a finite ground coplanar waveguide and has a structure consisting of stair-shaped radiator and ground plane. The notched band is implemented by cutting two symmetrical narrow slits from the ground plane. The antenna is fabricated on a substrate with a dielectric constant of 4.4 and has a compact size of 18×26×1.6 mm3. Experimental and simulation results of the fabricated antenna are found to be in good agreement. The antenna achieves an average gain of 3 dBi and efficiency of more than 80% over the operational band. Time domain analysis, which includes the group delay response and fidelity calculation, implies that minimal distortion is introduced by the proposed antenna which makes it suitable for portable pulsed UWB systems.
1. Costa, K. and V. Dmitriev, "Planar monopole UWB antennas with cuts at the edges and parasitic loops," Ultra Wideband Communications: Novel Trends — Antennas and Propagation, 1st Edition, 143-145, InTech, 2011.
2. Bekasiewicz, A. and S. Koziel, "Structure and computationally efficient simulation-driven design of compact UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, No. 7, 1282-1285, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2402282
3. Chen, Y. S. and Y. H. Chiu, "Application of multiobjective topology optimization to miniature Ultrawideband antennas with enhanced pulse preservation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, No. 7, 842-845, 2015.
4. Kim, Y. and D.-H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-405, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040302
5. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5GHz dual bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007368
6. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5GHz band-rejection filter," The European Conference in Wireless Technology, Vol. 40, No. 7, 511-514, Paris, 2010.
7. Ma, T. G., R. C. Hua, and C. F. Chou, "Design of a multi resonator loaded band-rejected ultrawideband planar monopole antenna with controllable notched bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2875-2883, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928778
8. Wu, S. J., C. H. Kang, K. H. Chen, and J. H. Tarng, "Study of an ultrawideband monopole antenna with a band-notched open-looped resonator," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1890-1897, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046839
9. Qu, S.-W., J.-I. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultrawideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 495-498, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.886303
10. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063713
11. Zhang, Y., W. Hong, C. Yu, Z. Q. Kuai, Y. D. Don, and J. Y. Zhou, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with multiple notched bands based on etched slots on the patch and/or split ring resonators on the feed line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 9, 3063-3068, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928815
12. Liu, J., S. Gong, Y. Xu, X. Zhang, C. Feng, and N. Qi, "Compact printed ultra-wideband monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronics letters, Vol. 44, No. 12, 710-711, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080931
13. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact multiband monopole antenna with a defected ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 652-655, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2007813
14. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 3, 796-799, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2013449
15. Kim, K.-H., Y.-J. Cho, S.-H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20051090
16. Ghione, G. and C. U. Naldi, "Coplanar waveguides for MMIC applications: Effect of upper shielding, conductor backing, finite-extent ground planes, and line-to-line coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, No. 3, 260-267, 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133637
17. Schantz, H. G., "Radiation efficiency of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE UWBST Conference, 2002.
18. Duroc, Y., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, and S. Tedjini, "UWB antennas: Systems with transfer function and impulse response," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1449-1451, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895636
19. Klemm, M., I. Z. Koves, G. F. Pederson, and G. Troster, "Novel small-size directional antenna for UWB WBAN/WPAN applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3884-3896, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859906