In this work, a new analytical matrix formulation approach for the characterization of a microwave planar structure printed on a complex medium is detailed. The approach is based on the Generalized Exponential Matrix Technique (GEMT) combined with the Method of Moments (MoM)and Galerkin's procedure. The mathematical calculation development is a robust approach that exclusively uses matrix formulations starting from Maxwell's equations until the derivation of a compact form of the Green's tensor of the studied structure. Reduced complexity and calculation simplicity foundation of the applied approach have actually incited the authors to consider the case study of a complex bianisotropic lossy chiral substrate medium. The complexity of the medium is expressed by full tensors form of all four constitutive parameters: permittivity, permeability and magnetoelectric parameters, each is represented by a nine-element tensor. To investigate the electromagnetic behavior of complex media, results of particular bianisotropy cases are presented and discussed. Original results of the biaxial chiral anisotropy case are carried out, discussed and compared with data available in literature.
1. Perić, M., S. Ilić, S. Aleksić, N. Raičević, M. Bichurin, A. Tatarenko, and R. Petrov, "Covered microstrip line with ground planes of finite width," Facta Universitatis Series: Electronics and Energetics, Vol. 27, No. 4, 589-600, Dec. 2014. doi:10.2298/FUEE1404589P
2. Tae, H. S., K. S. Oh, H. L. Lee, W. I. Son, and J. W. Yu, "Reconfigurable 1 : 4 power divider with switched impedance matching circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 2, 64-66, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2181830
3. Koul, S. K. and B. Bhat, "Inverted microstrip and suspended microstrip with anisotropic substrates," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 70, No. 10, 1230-1231, Oct. 1982. doi:10.1109/PROC.1982.12450
4. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with general bianisotropic slabs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 10, 1870-1878, Oct. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.159623
5. Umashankar, K., A. Taflove, and S. Rao, "Electromagnetic scattering by arbitrary shaped three-dimensional homogeneous lossy dielectric objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 6, 758-766, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143894
6. Yin, W.-Y., L.-W. Li, and I. Wollf, "The compatible effects of gyrotropy and chirality in biaxially bianisotropic chiral-and chiroferrite-ferrite microstrip line structure," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 12, 209-227, 1999. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1099-1204(199905/06)12:3<209::AID-JNM337>3.0.CO;2-#
7. Weiglhofer, W. S., "A perspective on bianisotropy and Bianisotropics' 97," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 9, No. 2, 93-101, 1998.
8. Zebiri, C., D. Sayad, S. Daoudi, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Microstrip line printed on a bianisotropic medium," International Conference on Advanced Communication Systems and Signal Processing, ICOSIP-2015, 111-120, 2015.
9. Heindl, R., H. Srikanth, S. Witanachchi, P. Mukherjee, T. Weller, A. S. Tatarenko, and G. Srinivasan, "Structure, magnetism, and tunable microwave properties of pulsed laser deposition grown barium ferrite/barium strontium titanate bilayer films," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 101, No. 9, 09M503, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2710467
10. Tatarenko, A. S., D. V. Snisarenko, and M. Bichurin, "Modeling of magnetoelectric microwave devices," Facta Universitatis, Series: Electronics and Energetics, Vol. 30, No. 3, 285-293, 2017. doi:10.2298/FUEE1703285T
11. Zebiri, C., F. Benabdelaziz, and M. Lashab, "Bianisotropic superstrate effect on rectangular microstrip patch antenna parameters," META'12, 2012.
12. Herman, W.-N., "Polarization eccentricity of the transverse field for modes in chiral core planar waveguides," Journal of the Optical Society of America A: Optics, Image Science and Vision, Vol. 18, No. 11, 2806-2818, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.002806
13. Engheta, N., "The theory of chirostrip antennas," Proceedings of the 1988 URSI International Radio Science Symposium, 213, Syracuse, New York, 1988.
14. Zebiri, C., M. Lashab, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Effect of anisotropic magneto-chirality on the characteristics of a microstrip resonator," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 4, 446-452, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0439
15. Hillion, P., "Harmonic plane wave propagation in anisotropic chiral media," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 28, No. 3, 337-350, 2008.
16. Khodja, A., M. L. Tounsi, M. C. E. Yagoub, and S. Gaoua, "Full-wave analysis of the anisotropy effect in unilateral planar transmission lines by integral method," SETIT 2005, 3rd International Conference: Sciences of Electronic Technologies of Information and Telecommunications, Mar. 27-31, 2005.
17. Daoudi, S., F. Benabdelaziz, and C. Zebiri, "Spectral-domain analysis of finline printed on chiral and ferrite substrates using the generalized exponential technique combined with Galerkin's method," European Journal of Science and Technology, No. 8, 53-56, Sep. 2016. (Special Issue of the 2nd International Conference on Computational and Experimental Science and Engineering (ICCESEN-2015), Antalya, Turkey, Oct. 14-19, 2015.).
18. Aib, S., F. Benabdelaziz, C. Zebiri, and D. Sayad, "Propagation in diagonal anisotropic chirowaveguides," Advances in OptoElectronics, Vol. 2017, 2017.
19. Lindell, V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyskov, and A. J. Vitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-isotropic Media, Altech House, Norwood, MA, 1994.
20. Wang, S. Y., W. Y. Yin, L. Zhou, J. Chen, X. Q. Gu, and L. F. Qiu, "THz wave interaction with planar structures consisting of multilayer graphene sheets and bianisotropic slabs," IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, 2014.
21. Zebiri, C., F. Benabdelaziz, and M. Lashab, "Complex media parameter effect: On the input impedance of rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE International Conference Complex Systems (ICCS), 1-4, 2012.
22. Zebiri, C., M. Lashab, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Asymmetrical effects of bi-anisotropic substrate-superstrate sandwich structure on patch resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 49, 319-337, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13012115
23. Tretyakov, S. A. and A. A. Sochava, "Proposed composite material for nonreflecting shields and antenna radoms," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 12, 1048-1049, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930699
24. Dmitriev, V., "Table of the second rank constitutive tensors for linear homogeneous media described by the point magnetic groups of symmetry," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 28, 43-95, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99062502
25. Yin, W.-Y., "Linear complex media," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, 694-717, John Wiley, New York, 2005.
26. Zebiri, C., M. Lashab, and F. Benabdelaziz, "Rectangular microstrip antenna with uniaxial bi-anisotropic chiral substrate-superstrate," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 17-29, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0446
27. Sayad, D., F. Benabdelaziz, C. Zebiri, S. Daoudi, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Spectral domain analysis of gyrotropic anisotropy chiral effect on the input impedance of a printed dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 51, 1-8, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM16073106
28. Zebiri, C., S. Daoudi, F. Benabdelaziz, M. Lashab, D. Sayad, N. T. Ali, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Gyro-chirality effect of bianisotropic substrate on the operational of rectangular microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 51, No. 3, 249-260, 2016. doi:10.3233/JAE-150141
29. Khodja, A., M. C. E. Yagoub, R. Touhami, and H. Baudrand, "Improved numerical modal technique for fast and accurate modeling of transmission planar structures: Application to microstrip line," 2015 International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD), 1-4, IEEE, 2015.
30. Polichronakis, I. P. and S. S. Kouris, "Computation of the dispersion characteristics of a shielded suspended substrate microstrip line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 3, 581-584, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.121739