This paper presents a circularly polarized tag on a 3×3 AMC structure to obtain longer read range for UHF RFID on-body applications. A modified T-matching transformer is employed to achieve conjugate matching with the Monza 4 microchip. To overcome the influence of lossy human body, a cross-dipole tag antenna is directly implemented on the phase-dependent AMC structure to achieve high gain and isolate the influence of the human body. Then, the tag is pasted on a lossy human model to investigate its performance. The study finds that the AMC can increase the antenna gain by 3.34 dB and help generate circularly polarized (CP) wave. The measured fractional bandwidth of impedance is 3.2% which can cover the UHF RFID bands of North America and Taiwan. The measured read range of the tag pasted on a human body reaches 15.7 meters when the reader has 4 W EIRP, and the sensitivity of the microchip is -16.7 dBm.
1. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
2. Hadarig, R. C., M. De Cos, and F. Las-Heras, "Novel miniaturized artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 174-177, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2245093
3. Coccioli, R., F.-R. Yang, K.-P. Ma, and T. Itoh, "Aperture-coupled patch antenna on UC-PBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2123-2130, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798008
4. Cos, M. E. de, Y. Alvarez, R. Hadarig, and F. Las-Heras, "Flexible uniplanar artificial magnetic conductor," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1218-1221, 2011.
5. Abu, M., E. E. Hussin, A. Othman, N. Yatim, F. Johar, and R. F. Munawar, "Design of stacked wafers AMC at 920 MHz for metallic object detection in RFID application," IEEE Symposium on Wireless Technology and Applications (ISWTA), 236-239, 2013. doi:10.1109/ISWTA.2013.6688778
6. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
7. Agarwal, K., Y. X. Guo, and B. Salam, "Wearable AMC backed near-endfire antenna for on-body communications on latex substrate," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, 346-358, 2016. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2016.2521487
8. Agarwal, K. and A. Alphones, "Design of compact circularly polarized microstrip antennas using meta-surfaces," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1067-1070, 2013.
9. Tran, H. H. and I. Park, "A dual-wideband circularly polarized antenna using an artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 950-953, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2483589
10. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4329-4333, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164223
11. Bernard, L., G. Chertier, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antennas on reactive impedance substrates," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1015-1018, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2168803
12. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole on an HIS for 2.4/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1464-1467, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2288787
13. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Dual-band low-profile crossed asymmetric dipole antenna on dual-band AMC surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 587-590, 2014.
14. Raad, H. R., A. I. Abbosh, H. M. Al-Rizzo, and D. G. Rucker, "Flexible and compact AMC based antenna for telemedicine applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 524-531, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2223449
15. Xue, C., H. Wang, X. Jiang, and Y. Huang, "A single-feed arrow-shaped circularly polarized antenna with unbalanced slotted artificial magnetic conductor for GNSS application," IEEE MTTS International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications (IMWS-AMP), 1-3, 2016.
16. Deavours, D. D., "A circularly polarized planar antenna modified for passive UHF RFID," IEEE International Conference on RFID, 265-269, 2009.
17. Liu, Y., Q. Liu, and J. Hu, "Novel circular polarization antenna for UHF RFID application," 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation and Measurement, Sensor Network and Automation (IMSNA), 986-989, 2013.
18. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, 2nd Ed., New York, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
19.. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z. N. Chen, "Impedance characterization of RFID tag antennas and application in tag co-design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1268-1274, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017288
20. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
21. Tsai, M. C., C. W. Chiu, H. C. Wang, and T. F. Wu, "Inductively coupled loop antenna design for UHF RFID on-body applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 315-330, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13080707
22. Marrocco, G., "RFID antennas for the UHF remote monitoring of human subjects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1862-1870, June 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898626
23. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11041208