In this paper, we propose a simulation model of electromagnetic waves propagation in media with different kinds of dispersions. This model exploits the dependence of the polarization current density and the voltage electric in the context of the Transmission Line Matrix method with the Symmetrical Condensed Node (SCN-TLM) and novel voltage sources. By solving Maxwell's and polarization current density equations, the proposed model, named JE-TLM, gives a full solution of Maxwell's equations and polarization terms which describe the Lorentz linear dispersion, nonlinear instantaneous Kerr and retarded Raman effects. The scattering matrix characterizing the SCN with the new voltage sources is provided, and the numerical results are compared with those of the literature or with the theoretical ones.
El Hadi El Ouardy,
Hanan El Faylali,
"Modeling of Optical Pulse Propagation in Kerr and Raman Nonlinear Dispersive Media Using JE-TLM Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 69-77, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18052806
1. Franken, P. A., A. E. Hill, C. W. Peters, and G. Weinreich, "Generation of optical harmonics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 4, 118-119, 1961. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.7.118
2. Agrawal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, 4th Ed., Academic Press, New York, 2007.
3. Hasegawa, A. and F. Tappert, "Transmission of stationary nonlinear optical pulses in dispersive dielectric fibers: I. Anomalous dispersion," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 3, 142-144, 1973. doi:10.1063/1.1654836
4. Tran, P., "A nonlinear photonic crystal: A numerical study," Optics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 15, 1138-1140, 1996. doi:10.1364/OL.21.001138
5. Cherenkov, A. V., N. M. Kondratiev, V. E. Lobanov, A. E. Shitikov, D. V. Skryabin, and M. L. Gorodetsk, "Raman-Kerr frequency combs in microresonators with normal dispersion," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 25, 31148-31158, 2017. doi:10.1364/OE.25.031148
6. Fanjoux, G., A. Sudirman, J.-C. Beugnot, L. Furfaro, W. Margulis, and T. Sylvestre, "Stimulated Raman-Kerr scattering in an integrated nonlinear optofluidic fiber arrangement," Optics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 18, 5407-5407, 2014. doi:10.1364/OL.39.005407
7. Karras, C., W. Paa, D. Litzkendorf, S. Grimm, K. Schuster, and H. Stafast, "SiO2-Al2O3-La2O3 glass — A superior medium for optical Kerr gating at moderate pump intensity," Optical Materials Express, Vol. 6, No. 1, 125-130, 2016. doi:10.1364/OME.6.000125
8. Garmire, E., "Nonlinear optics in daily life," Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 25, 30532-30544, 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.030532
9. Nakamura, S., N. Takasawa, and Y. Koyamada, "Comparison between finite-difference time-domain calculation with all parameters of Sellmeier’s fitting equation and experimental results for slightly chirped 12 fs laser pulse propagation in a silica fiber," IEEE J. of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, No. 2, 855-863, 2005. doi:10.1109/JLT.2004.838873
10. Fujii, M., M. Tahara, I. Sakagami, W. Freude, and P. Russer, "High order FDTD and auxiliary differential equation formulation of optical pulse propagation in 2-D Kerr and Raman nonlinear dispersive media," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 40, No. 2, 175-182, 2004. doi:10.1109/JQE.2003.821881
11. Johns, P. B., "A symmetrical condensed node for the TLM method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 35, 370-377, 1987. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1987.1133658
12. Paul, J., C. Christopoulos, and D. W. P. Thomas, "Generalized material models in TLM. I.: Materials with frequency-dependent properties," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 1528-1534, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.805895
13. Yaich, M. I. and M. Khalladi, "A novel SCN-TLM model for the analysis of ferrite media," IEEE Micro. Wireless Compn. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 6, 217-219, 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.814105
14. El Faylali, H., "Modeling of optical pulse propagation in Kerr and Raman nonlinear dispersive media using ADE-TLM method," International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol. IV, No. II, 1064-1076, 2013.
15. Abrini, R., M. Ibn Yaich, and M. Khalladi, "Efficient modeling of isotropic cold plasma media using JE-TLM method," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 4, No. 15, 492-497, 2007. doi:10.1587/elex.4.492
16. Charif, M., et al. "Accuracy and CPU time of JE-TLM, PLRC-TLM and CRC-TLM methods for plasma medium," Optik — Int. J. Light Electron. Op., Vol. 125, No. 13, 3138-3141, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2013.12.014
17. El Faylali, H., M. Iben Yaich, and M. Khalladi, "Modeling of optical pulse propagation in nonlinear dispersive media using JE-TLM method," International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, Vol. 2, No. 5, 1308-1312, 2013.
18. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Time Domain-Method, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.
19. Greene, J. H. and A. Taflove, "General vector auxiliary differential equation finite-difference timedomain method for nonlinear optics," Journal Title Abbreviation, Vol. 14, No. 18, 1064-1076, 2006.
20. Khalladi, M., M. I. Yaich, N. Aknin, and M. Carrion, "Modeling of electromagnetic waves propagation in nonlinear optical media using HSCN-TLM method," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 2, No. 13, 384-391, 2005. doi:10.1587/elex.2.384