In this paper, a high power, air suspended stripline (SSL) T junction power divider at L band microwave frequencies is introduced. The power divider operating frequency is centered at 1.3 GHz. In this new configuration, the only dielectric used is air to have maximum power handling capability. An excitation transition from coaxial cable to the SSL transmission line is explained. The SSL was fabricated using alumi-num sheets to gain the advantage of low cost. The power divider design was validated using circuit and 3D full wave simulations and confirmed using experimental measurements with all agreements. It has been proved that the power divider attenuation has sharp rejection characteristic at the designed frequency (-20 dB at 1.3 GHz). The power divider can be used as a feeder for devices used in high power applications.
1. Thumm, M. K. and W. Kasparek, "Passive high-power microwave components," IEEE Trans. Plasma Science, Vol. 30, No. 3, 755-786, Jun. 2002. doi:10.1109/TPS.2002.801653
2. Cheon, Y. and Y. Kim, "Stripline-fed aperture-coupled patch array antenna with reduced sidelobe," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 18, 1402-1403, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1915
3. Czawka, G. and N. Litwinczuk, "Six-channel broadband inhomogeneous microstrip power divider for communication antenna array," 15th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, 2004. MIKON-2004, Vol. 3, 1020-1023, IEEE, 2004.
4. Linner, L. P. and G. Andersson, "Multi-terminal power dividers combining cavity and stripline technique," 13th European Microwave Conference, 1983, 348-353, IEEE, Sep. 1983.
5. Nick, M. and A. Mortazawi, "A Doherty power amplier with extended resonance power divider for linearity improvement," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 423-426, IEEE, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2008.4633193
6. Riemer, P. J., J. S. Humble, J. F. Prairie, J. D. Coker, B. A. Randall, B. K. Gilbert, and E. S. Daniel, "Ka-band SiGe HBT power amplier for single-chip T/R module applications," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2007, 1071-1074, IEEE, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2007.380278
7. Bialkowski, M. E., A. M. Abbosh, and N. Seman, "Compact microwave six-port vector voltmeters for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2216-2223, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.906539
8. Chiu, L., T. Y. Yum, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A wideband compact parallel-strip 180/spl deg/Wilkinson power divider for push-pull circuitries," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 1, 49-51, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.859972
9. Sodano, H. A., "Active and passive smart structures and integrated systems," SPIE, Vol. 8341, 778, Mar. 2012.
10. Lee, T. H., Planar Microwave Engineering: A Practical Guide to Theory, Measurement, and Circuits, Vol. 1, Cambridge University Press, 2004.
11. Kao, J. C., Z. M. Tsai, K. Y. Lin, and H.Wang, "A modied Wilkinson power divider with isolation bandwidth improvement," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2768-2780, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2206402
12. Souid, B. and S. Arvas, "Yield analysis of a stripline Wilkinson power divider using Monte Carlo samples of interpolated full wave simulation data using Sonnet," General Assembly and Scientic Symposium, 2011 XXXth URSI, 1-4, IEEE, Aug. 2011.
13. Hirota, A., Y. Tahara, H. Yukawa, T. Owada, Y. Yamaguchi, and H. Miyashita, "A stripline power divider with insensitive to resistance variations using a parallel resistor pair," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, IEEE, Jun. 2014.
14. Tang, W., P. Zhou, X. Chen, and Y. L. Chow, "Design and optimization of stripline passive components with trust-region aggressive space mapping," Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference, 2007. APMC 2007, 1-4, IEEE, Dec. 2007.
15. Darwish, A. M., A. A. Ibrahim, J. Qiu, E. Viveiros, and H. A. Hung, "Novel Ka-band `offset- divider/combiner' with re ection cancellation," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-3, IEEE, Jun. 2014.
16. Marki, C. F., V. D. Kodwani, and F. A. Marki, "A novel multi-octave differential power divider," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1548-1551, IEEE, May 2010. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2010.5514743
17. Zhang, Y., Z. Wang, and R. Xu, "A Ka-band high isolation and in phase planar six way power divider based on LTCC technology," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing (ICSPCC), 1-4, IEEE, Sep. 2011.
18. Grindrod, D. K., R. S. Orton, G. P. Steele, and A. J. Scammell, "Performance enhancement of TEM power dividers," 19th European Microwave Conference, 1989, 1123-1130, IEEE, Sep. 1989. doi:10.1109/EUMA.1989.334119
19. Maloratsky, L. G. and R. Collins, "Reviewing the basics of suspended striplines," Microwave Journal, Vol. 45, No. 10, 82, Oct. 2002.
20. Zurcher, J. F., R. G logowski, and J. R. Mosigt, "A new power divider architecture for suspended strip line," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 418-422, IEEE, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2012.6206226
21. Kim, I. B., K. H. Kwon, S. B. Kwon, W. Mohyuddin, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Ultra-wideband multi-section power divider on suspended stripline," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 427-430, IEEE, Jun. 2017. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2017.8058587
22. Zhang, W., Z. Ning, Y. Wu, C. Yu, S. Li, and Y. Liu, "Dual-band out-of-phase power divider with impedance transformation and wide frequency ratio," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 12, 787-789, 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2496784
23. Fan, F. F. and Z. H. Yan, "Out-of-phase unequal power divider based on parallel dual- lines structure," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 5, 1-3, IEEE, May 2012.
24. Bhat, B. and S. K. Koul, Stripline-like Transmission Lines for Microwave Integrated Circuits, New Age International, 1989.