Major challenges faced by airborne VHF monopole antennas are to achieve wideband characteristics in permissible antenna height and to find the apt location for mounting, so as to satisfy sufficient ground plane around its feed point. The increased applications of electromagnetic spectrum result in a large number of antennas competing in the limited space available on platform. The asymmetries and curved surfaces on the platform as well as the limited size of the available ground plane may result in an insufficient ground plane for these antennas on platform. The deficient ground plane can deteriorate the radiation characteristics of antenna. Printed monopole antenna, which does not require a backing ground plane, can overcome this deficiency, as the ground planes of these antennas are implemented in the same plane as that of the radiating element. This paper proposes a wideband printed monopole VHF antenna for airborne applications, which simultaneously achieves reduced height and reduced ground plane on platform. The antenna has a size of 0.1045λ × 0.1272λ × 0.072λ, where λ is the free space wavelength at lowest frequency of operation, and it achieves a 3:1 VSWR bandwidth of 38%. The radiation characteristics and size of the proposed antenna are comparable to the conventional airborne blade monopole antenna with the added advantage of requiring minimal ground plane to mount on.
1. Macnamara, T. M., Introduction to Antenna Placement and Installation, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., United Kingdom, 2010. doi:10.1002/9780470686874
2. Best, S. R., "The significance of ground plane size and antenna location in establishing the performance of ground-plane-dependent antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 6, 29-43, December 2009. doi:10.1109/MAP.2009.5433095
3. Burnside, W. D. and R. J. Marhefka, "Antennas on aircraft, ships, or any large, complex environment," Antenna Handbook, Y. T. Lo, S. W. Lee (eds), Springer, Boston, MA, 1988.
4. McLean, J., M. Leuvano, and H. Foltz, "Reduced-size, folded ground plane for use with low-profile, broadband monopole antennas," Radio and Wireless Conference, August 1999.
5. Lim, S., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Ground plane size reduction in monopole antennas for ground wave transmission," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1B, 406-409, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1551578
6. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "The tab monopole," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 1, 187-188, January 1997. doi:10.1109/8.554262
7. Zhai, H., D. Yang, L. Xi, and D. Feng, "A new CPW-fed broadband circularly polarized printed monopole antenna for UWB application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 364-369, February 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30972
8. Lee, R. Q. and K. Chun, "Compact miniaturized antenna for 210 MHz RFID," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, San Diego, CA, July 2008.
9. Loutridis, A., M. John, and M. J. Ammann, "Folded meander line antenna for wireless M-bus in the VHF and UHF bands," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 15, 1138-1140, July 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1844
10. Ripin, N., M. S. Zaman, A. A. Sulaiman, N. E. Rashid, M. F. Hussin, W. Z. Ibrahim, and N. N. Ismail, "Small and compact double E-shaped meander line monopole antenna for forward scatter radar network," Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering (JTEC), Vol. 10, No. 1-6, 127-132, February 5, 2018.
11. Zhang, Y. and I. Glover, "Design of an ultrawideband VHF/UHF antenna for partial discharge detection," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Signal Processing, Communications and Computing (ICSPCC), 487-490, Guilin, 2014.
12. Qiang, Y., W. Wang, and Y. Yao, "A printed ultra-wideband antenna with C-shaped ground plane for pattern stability," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 749-751, Beijing, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2016.7762430
13. Kim, T. H., Y. Kim, T. H. Yoo, and J. G. Yook, "Wideband planar monopole antenna for digital TV reception and UHF band communications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 13, 2041-2045, October 31, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5076
14. Ammann, M. J. and M. John, "Optimum design of the printed strip monopole," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 6, 59-61, December 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1608721