In this paper, a compact ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) spatial diversity antenna with dual band-notches designed on an FR4 substrate (26 × 28 × 0.8 mm3) is proposed and experimentally investigated. The antenna consists of two tapered microstrip feeding lines and two radiating elements. The inverted L-shaped slits are used to introduce notches at WLAN (5.15-5.85 GHz) and IEEE INSAT/Super-Extended C-bands (6.7-7.1 GHz). The isolation more than 15 dB is achieved through the whole working band (2.9-10.8 GHz) by introducing a T-shaped decoupling structure on the ground plane. Furthermore, envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), radiation patterns of the MIMO antenna are also discussed. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed UWB MIMO antenna is a good candidate for UWB diversity applications.
1. Ma, T.-G. and S.-K. Jeng, "Planar miniature tapered-slot-fed annular slot antennas for ultrawide-band radios," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1194-1202, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842648
2. Yang, Y., Q. Chu, and J. Li, "Dual band-notched ultrawideband MIMO antenna array," 2013 IEEE International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, Beijing, 2013.
3. Li, J., Q. Chu, and T. Huang, "A compact wideband MIMO antenna with two novel bent slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 482-489, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173452
4. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014.
5. Zhu, J., S. Li, S. Liao, and Q. Xue, "Wideband low-profile highly isolated MIMO antenna with artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 458-462, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2795018
6. Toktas, A., M. Yerlikaya, K. Sabanci, A. Kayabasi, E. Yigit, and M. Tekbas, "Reducing mutual coupling for a square UWB MIMO antenna using various parasitic structures," 2017 10th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO), 982-986, Bursa, 2017.
7. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. Bouazizi, and A. Basir, "Metamaterial based highly isolated MIMO antenna for portable wireless communication," Electronics, Vol. 7, No. 10, 2018. doi:10.3390/electronics7100267
8. Sokhi, I. K., R. Ramesh, and K. Usha Kiran, "Design of UWB-MIMO antenna for wireless applications," 2016 International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), 962-966, Chennai, 2016. doi:10.1109/WiSPNET.2016.7566277
9. Joo, E., K. Kwon, J. Park, and J. Choi, "On-body UWB MIMO antenna for UWB application," 2013 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 1130-1132, Seoul, 2013.
10. Zhang, L., W. Liu, and T. Jiang, "A compact UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 913-914, Fajardo, 2016.
11. Liu, Y. and Z. Tu, "Compact differential band-notched stepped-slot UWB-MIMO antenna with common-mode suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 593-596, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2592179
12. Kang, L., H. Li, X. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1754-1757, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2422571
13. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot Antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
14. Zhu, J., et al., "A dual notched band MIMO slot antenna system with Y-shaped defected ground structure for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 3, 626-630, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29632
15. Taheri, M. M. S., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "UWB printed slot antenna with bluetooth and dual notch bands," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 255-258, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2119391
16. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 1, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
17. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A.W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2785232