In this paper, the detection of through the wall multiple human subjects is proposed using the Doppler radar with the help of Hilbert vibrational decomposition (HVD). The proposed Doppler radar can detect the multiple human subjects behind the wall by respiration rate estimation of human subjects. With different breathing conditions resembling to the real life scenario, the respiration signals of human subjects are extracted. The algorithm works in every real life situation to detect the respiration rate of human subjects and finds application in the earthquakes, building collapses and security applications.
Mahesh Pandurang Abegaonkar,
Shiban Kishen Koul,
the Wall Respiration Rate Detection of Multiple Human Subjects Using Hilbert Vibrational Decomposition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 80, 83-91, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19020103
1. Lin, J. C., "Noninvasive microwave measurement of respiration," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 63, No. 10, 1530, Oct. 1975. doi:10.1109/PROC.1975.9992
2. Dalal, H., A. Basu, and M. P. Abegaonkar, "Remote sensing of vital sign of human body with radio frequency," CSI Transactions on ICT, Vol. 5, No. 2, 161-166, 2017. doi:10.1007/s40012-016-0154-4
3. Xiao, Y., J. Lin, O. Boric-Lubecke, and M. Lubecke, "Frequency-tuning technique for remote detection of heartbeat and respiration using low-power double-sideband transmission in the ka-band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2023-2032, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.873625
4. Kim, B., et al. "dual-band FMCW radar for through-wall detection," IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 54-57, Singapore, 2015.
5. Yan, J., H. Zhao, Y. Li, L. Sun, H. Hong, and X. Zhu, "Through-the-wall human respiration detection using impulse ultra-wide-band radar," IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems, 94-96, Austin, TX, 2016.
6. Lubecke, V. M., O. Boric-Lubecke, A. Host-Madsen, and A. E. Fathy, "Through-the-wall radar life detection and monitoring," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 769-772, Honolulu, HI, 2007.
7. Wu, S., K. Tan, Z. Xia, J. Chen, S. Meng, and F. Guangyou, "Improved human respiration detection method via ultra-wideband radar in through-wall or other similar conditions," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 10, No. 3, 468-476, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2015.0159
8. Li, Z., W. Li, H. Lv, Y. Zhang, X. Jing, and J. Wang, "A novel method for respiration-like clutter cancellation in life detection by dual-frequency IR-UWB radar," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 5, 2086-2092, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2247054
9. Liu, L., Z. Liu, and B. E. Barrowes, "Through-wall bio-radiolocation with UWB impulse radar: Observation, simulation and signal extraction," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, No. 4, 791-798, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2011.2157461
10. Xu, Y., S. Wu, C. Chen, J. Chen, and G. Fang, "A novel method for automatic detection of trapped victims by ultrawideband radar," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 8, 3132-3142, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2178248
11. Xiong, Y., S. Chen, X. Dong, Z. Peng, and W. Zhang, "Accurate measurement in Doppler radar vital sign detection based on parameterized demodulation," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4483-4492, Nov. 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2684138
12. Li, J., Z. Zeng, J. Sun, and F. Liu, "Through-wall detection of human Being’s movement by UWB radar," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 9, No. 6, 1079-1083, Nov. 2012. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2190707
13. Harikesh, A. Basu, M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Through the wall respiration rate detection using Hilbert vibrational decomposition," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 961-963, Philadelphia, PA, 2018.
14. Wang, Y., Q. Liu, and A. E. Fathy, "CW and pulse-Doppler radar processing based on FPGA for human sensing applications," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3097-3107, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2217397
15. Wang, F. K., T. S. Horng, K. C. Peng, J. K. Jau, J. Y. Li, and C. C. Chen, "Detection of concealed individuals based on their vital signs by using a see-through-wall imaging system with a self-injection-locked radar," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 1, 696-704, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2228223
16. Feldman, M., Hilbert Transform Applications in Mechanical Vibration, 1st Ed., John Wiley and Sons Ltd., Chichester, United Kingdom, 2011. doi:10.1002/9781119991656