In this paper a novel design of microstrip fed L-shaped arm slot and notch loaded RMPA (Rectangular Microstrip Patch Antenna) with mended ground plane for wide bandwidth is presented. The proposed prototype antenna is fabricated on an FR-4 (Fire retardant) substrate with dimension 30×30.8 mm2 and 1.6 mm thickness. The proposed design is analyzed and simulated using high frequency structure simulator (HFSS) tool version 15. The analysed results are validated through fabrication and measurement results. The analyzed result shows 96.1% maximum radiation efficiency at 2.9 GHz whereas overall efficiency is more than 85% over the entire frequency range and experiment achieves gain 8.4 dB at 7 GHz. The designed antenna achieves 119.39% impedance bandwidth with more than 5 dB gain over the operating frequency range of 2.41 GHz to 9.55 GHz. For better performance and analysis of proposed antenna, a parametric study has been carried out to analyze the effects of variations in the following --- slot and notch dimensions loaded on the patch as well as variations in ground length. The designed antenna can be utilized for various applications incorporating Bluetooth, WLAN, Wi-Max, and UWB operation.
Abhishek Kumar Saroj,
"A Novel Microstrip Fed L-Shaped Arm Slot and Notch Loaded RMPA with Mended Ground Plane for Bandwidth Improvement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 95, 47-57, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19052010
1. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Behl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Inc., Norwood, MA, 2001.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
3. Kumari, K., A. Singh, M. Aneesh, and J. A. Ansari, "Novel design of microstrip antenna with improved bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2014, 1-7, Article ID 659592, Hindawi, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/675891
4. Ansari, J. A., N. P. Yadav, A. Mishra, P. Singh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of multilayer rectangular patch antenna for broadband operation," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 62, 315-327, Springer, 2012. doi:10.1007/s11277-010-0055-z
5. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "A wide-band shorted planar monopole with bevel," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 901-903, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811061
6. Goswami, S. A. and D. Karia, "A compact monopole antenna for wireless applications with enhanced bandwidth," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 33-39, Elsevier, 2017.
7. Chiang, K. H. and K. W. Tam, "Microstrip monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using defected ground structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 532-535, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2005592
8. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, A. R. Chandran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Square monopole antenna for ultra wide band communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1525-1537, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307782000299
9. Li, Z.-Y., X. S. Zhu, C. Y. Yin, and Y. Huang, "A broadband circularly polarized monopole antenna," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, 1-8, Wiley, 2019.
10. Saha, T. K., C. Goodbody, T. Karacolak, and P. K. Sekhar, "A compact monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 1, 182-186, Wiley, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31519
11. Boutejdar, A. and W. A. Ellatif, "A novel compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using triangular defected microstrip Structure and stepped cut technique," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1514-1519, Wiley, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29820
12. Peram, A., A. S. R. Reddy, and M. N. G. Prasad, "Miniaturized single layer Ultra Wide Band (UWB) patch antenna using a partial ground plane," Wireless Personal Communications, 1-17, Springer, 2019.
13. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Asymmetrically CPW-fed hourglass shaped UWB monopole antenna with defected ground plan," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 94, No. 3, 1685-1699, Springer, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11277-016-3706-x
14. Ojaroudi, N., "Compact UWB monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using rotated L-shaped slots and parasitic structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 175-178, Wiley, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28055
15. Sharma, A., P. Khanna, K. Shinghal, and A. Kumar, "Design of CPW-fed antenna with defected substrate for wideband applications," Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 2016, 1-10, Article ID 6546481, Hindawi, 2016.
16. Gautam, A. K., A. Bisht, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A wideband antenna with defected ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 3, 354-358, Elsevier, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.12.013
17. Mandal, K. and P. P. Sarkar, "A compact low profile wideband U-shape antenna with slotted circular ground plane," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 3, 336-340, Elsevier, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2015.12.011
18. Baudha, S. and D. K. vishwakarma, "Bandwidth enhancement of a planar monopole microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, 1231-1235, Cambridge University Press, 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078715000768
19. Murugan, N. A., R. Balasubramanian, and H. R. Patnam, "Printed planar monopole antenna design for ultra-wideband communications," Radio Electronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 61, No. 6, 267-273, Springer, 2018. doi:10.3103/S0735272718060055
20. Awad, N. M. and M. K. Abdelazeez, "Multislot microstrip antenna for ultra-wide band applications," Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences, Vol. 30, 38-45, Elsevier, 2018.
21. Baudha, S. and M. V. Yadav, "A novel design of a planar antenna with modified patch and defective ground plane for ultra-wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, 1320-1327, Wiley, 2019.
22. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas: From Theory to Practice, Chapter-7 Antenna Manufacturing and Measurements, 272-273, Wiley Publication, 2008.
23. Tang, H., K. Wang, R. Wu, C. Yu, J. Zhang, and X. Wang, "A novel broadband circularly polarized monopole antenna based on C-shaped radiator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 964-967, 2016.
24. Roy, B., S. K. Chowdhury, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Symmetrical hexagonal monopole antenna with bandwidth enhancement under UWB operations," Wireless Personal Communications, 1-11, Springer, US, 2019.
25. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Asymmetric U-shaped printed monopole antenna embedded with T-shaped strip for bluetooth, WLAN/WiMAX applications," Wireless Networks, 1-11, Springer, US, 2018.
26. Okas, P., A. Sharma, G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Elliptical slot loaded partially segmented circular monopole antenna for super wideband application," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 88, 63-69, Elsevier, 2018.
27. Yang, L., N.-W. Liu, Z.-Y. Zhang, G. Fu, Q.-Q. Liu, and S. Zuo, "A novel single feed omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna with wide AR bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 35-43, 2014.
28. Chen, L., X. Ren, Y.-Z. Yin, and Z. Wang, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized antenna with an irregular slot for 2.45 GHz RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 41, 77-86, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13052020
29. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On smoothening the singular field developed in the vicinity of metallic edges," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 2, 67-77, 2009. doi:10.3233/JAE-2009-1048
30. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On examining the influence of a thin dielectric strip posed across the diameter of a penetrable radiating cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 203-214, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08042906
31. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08072005