In this paper, the required array patterns with controlled nulls are obtained by optimizing only the excitation phases of a small number of elements on both sides of the array. A genetic algorithm is used to appropriately find which elements of the array to be optimized and also to find the required number of the excitation phases. The performance of the proposed phase-only method is compared with some other exciting methods, and it is found to be competitive, fulfill all the desired radiation characteristics, and represent a good solution for interference mitigation. Moreover, the proposed phase-only array is designed and validated under realistic electromagnetic effects using CST full wave modeling. Experimental results are found in a good agreement with the theoretical ones and show realistic array patterns with accurate nulls.
Ahmed Jameel Abdulqader,
Jafar Ramadhan Mohammed,
Raad H. Thaher,
"Phase-Only Nulling with Limited Number of Controllable Elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 99, 167-178, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20010203
1. Mohammed, J. R., "An optimum side lobe reduction method with weight perturbation," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 2, 705-711, US Springer, June 2019. doi:10.1007/s10825-019-01323-5
2. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07011204
3. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110705
4. Mohammed, J. R. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Pattern array optimization," InTechOpen, UK, 2019, ISBN 978-953-51-6320-6.
5. Liu, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, Y.-M. Zhang, and Y.-Y. Tan, "Synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable linear arrays using multiobjective invasive weed optimization based on decomposition," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, Article ID 630529, 11 pages, 2014.
6. Hu, J.-L., Y. Ma, and S.-M. Lin, "Deep null steering by controlling excitation phases of part elements," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 83, No. 5, 661-665, 1997. doi:10.1080/002072197135210
7. Liang, J., X. Fan, W. Fan, D. Zhou, and J. Li, "Phase-only pattern synthesis for linear antenna arrays ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2017.
8. Shore, R., "Nulling a symmetric pattern location with phase-only weight control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 5, 530-533, May 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143360
9. Bucci, O. M., G. Mazzarella, and G. Panariello, "Reconfigurable arrays by phase-only control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 7, 19-925, July 1991.
10. Vescovo, R., "Reconfigurability and beam scanning with phase-only control for antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1555-1565, June 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923297
11. Smith, S. T., "Optimum phase-only adaptive nulling," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 47, No. 7, 1835-1843, 1999. doi:10.1109/78.771033
12. Haupt, R. L., "Phase-only adaptive nulling with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 6, June 1997. doi:10.1109/8.585749
13. Ganesh, M. and K. R. Subhashini, "Pattern synthesis of circular antenna array with directional element employing deterministic space tapering technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 75, 41-57, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17031603
14. Baskar, S., A. Alphones, and P. N. Suganthan, "Genetic algorithm based design of a reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifter," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, 461-465, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20853
15. Mohammed, J. R., "Optimal null steering method in uniformly excited equally spaced linear array by optimizing two edge elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 13, 835-837, June 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.1405
16. Mohammed, J. R., "Element selection for optimized multi-wide nulls in almost uniformly excited arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Communication Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 629-632, April 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2807371
17. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
18. Gies, D. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization for reconfigurable phase differentiated array design," Microwave and Opt. Technology Lett., Vol. 38, 168-175, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11005
19. Mohammed, J. R., "Obtaining wide steered nulls in linear array patterns by controlling the locations of two edge elements," AEÜ International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 101, 145-151, March 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.02.004
20. Mohammed, J. R., "Thinning a subset of selected elements for null steering using binary genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 67, 147-157, March 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18021604