Reconfigrable antennas that are able to provide a high spatial diversity are increasingly adopted in many wireless applications. An original design of a planar printed compact antenna that achieves an electronically controlled beam steering by using metamaterial hybridization is presented in this paper. The designed antenna, made of coupled split ring resonators, is able to switch between 8 radiation patterns steering in 8 different directions at the working frequency of 2.45 GHz. The spatial diversity is assessed from the analysis of the correlation matrix between the patterns. This concept would provide a promising and compact alternative for low power telecommunication systems.
Julien de Rosny,
Dinh Thuy Phan Huy,
"Beam Steering Reconfigurable Compact Antenna Based on Hybridization Between Split Ring Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 91, 189-196, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20021004
1. Qin, P.-Y., Y. J. Guo, S. Member, and A. R. Weily, "A pattern reconfigurable U-slot antenna and its applications in MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 516-528, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173439
2. Sarrazin, J., Y. Mahe, S. Avrillon, and S. Toutain, "Pattern reconfigurable cubic antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 310-317, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011221
3. Chen, S.-H., J.-S. Row, and K.-L. Wong, "Reconfigurable square-ring patch antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 472-475, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889950
4. Chen, R.-H. and J.-S. Row, "Single-fed microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 922-926, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919211
5. Ourir, A., S. N. Burokur, R. Yahiaoui, and A. D. Lustrac, "Directive metamaterial-based subwavelength resonant cavity antennas — Applications for beam steering," Comptes Rendus Physique, Vol. 10, 414-422, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1016/j.crhy.2009.01.004
6. Pendry, J., A. Holden, D. Robbins, and W. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
7. Zuffanelli, S., G. Zamora, P. Aguila, F. Paredes, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, "Analysis of the split ring resonator (SRR) antenna applied to passive UHF-RFID tag design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 3, 856-864, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2513084
8. Alici, K. B. and E. Ozbay, "Electrically small split ring resonator antennas," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 101, 083104, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2722232
9. Cheng, X., D. E. Senior, J. J. Whalen, and Y.-K. Yoon, "Electrically small tunable split ring resonator antenna," 2010 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2010.
10. Hand, T. H. and S. A. Cummer, "Controllable magnetic metamaterial using digitally addressable split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 262-265, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2012879
11. Jouvaud, C., A. Ourir, and J. de Rosny, "Adaptive metamaterial antenna using coupled tunable split-ring resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, 518-519, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2013.0398
12. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2250-2261, Jul. 2012.
13. Jung, C., M. Lee, G. P. Li, and F. De Flaviis, "Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 455-463, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863407
14. Shelley, S., J. Costantine, C. G. Christodoulou, D. E. Anagnostou, and J. C. Lyke, "FPGA-controlled switch-reconfigured antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 355-358, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2048550
15. White, C. R. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Single- and dual-polarized tunable slot-ring antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 19-26, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009664
16. Tawk, Y., A. R. Albrecht, S. Hemmady, G. Balakrishnan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Optically pumped frequency reconfigurable antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 280-283, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2047373
17. Phan-Huy, D.-T., Y. Kokar, K. Rachedi, P. Pajusco, A. Mokh, T. Magounaki, R. Masood, C. Buey, P. Ratajczak, N. Malhouroux-Gaffet, J.-M. Conrat, J.-C. Prevotet, A. Ourir, J. D. Rosny, M. Crussiere, M. Helard, A. Gati, T. Sarrebourse, and M. D. Renzo, "Single-carrier spatial modulation for the internet of things: Design and performance evaluation by using real compact and reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 18978-18993, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2895754