A wideband resonance-based reflector (RBR) is proposed in this paper. It has an in-phase reflection band from 2.61 GHz to 5.59 GHz (72.68%), while high reflection magnitude is also obtained in the band. The proposed RBR was applied to an elliptical monopole antenna, and then, the omnidirectional radiation patterns are transformed to be unidirectional ones. The antenna profile is only 0.12λ. The proposed antenna has a measured impedance band of 2.12 GHz to 6 GHz (95.57%), and a measured front-to-back ratio band (FBR > 10 dB) of 2.2 GHz to 4.68 GHz (72.09%). The maximum FBR is up to 27.21 dB, and the antenna has good radiation performances. In addition, the proposed antenna is applied to investigate the electromagnetic characteristics of a human head. The transmission characteristics of electromagnetic wave in human head and the interactions between the human head and the electromagnetic wave were studied. The field distribution and specific absorption rate (SAR) are also discussed. Research found that the antenna matched well with the human head as good field distribution and propagation characteristics were obtained, and the antenna meets the safety standards.
"Design of a Directional Antenna Based on a Resonance Based Reflector and Its Applications on Bio-Electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 93, 165-174, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20032501
1. Lestari, A. A., A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "Adaptive wire bow-tie antenna for GPR applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1745-1754, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846726
2. Bashri, M. S. R., T. Arslan, and W. Zhou, "A compact RF switching system for wearable microwave imaging," Antennas & Propagation Conference, 1-4, 2016.
3. Krauns, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For All Applications, 4th Ed., 2002.
4. Jam, S. and M. Simruni, "Performance enhancement of a compact wideband patch antenna array using EBG structures," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 89, 42-55, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.03.026
5. Cheng, H., J. Chen, and X. Y. Wu, "Combining FSS and EBG surfaces for high-efficiency transmission and low-scattering properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1628-1632, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2790430
6. Cao, Y. F. and X. Y. Zhang, "A wideband beam-steerable slot antenna using artificial magnetic conductors with simple structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1685-1694, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2804480
7. Cao, Y. F., X. Y. Zhang, and T. Mo, "Low-profile conical-pattern slot antenna with wideband performance using artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 5, 2210-2218, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2809619
8. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
9. Ranga, Y., L. Matekovits, K. P. Esselle, and A. R. Weily, "Multioctave frequency selective surface reflector for ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 219-222, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2130509
10. Peng, L., J. Y. Xie, and K. Sun, "Resonance-based reflector and its application in unidirectional antenna with low-profilpe and broadband characteristics for wireless applications," Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 12, 2092, 2016. doi:10.3390/s16122092
11. Peng, L., J. Y. Xie, and X. F. Li, "Front to back ratio bandwidth enhancement of resonance based reflector antenna by using a ring-shape director and its time-domain analysis," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 15318-15325, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2734093
12. Xie, J. Y., L. Peng, and B. J. Wen, "Archimedean spiral antenna with two opposite unidirectional circularly polarized radiation bands designed by resonance based reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 70, 23-30, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL17062010
13. Wen, B. J., L. Peng, and X. F. Li, "A low-profile and wideband unidirectional antenna using bandwidth enhanced resonance-based reflector for fifth generation (5G) systems applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 27352-2736, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2901765