In this article, a modified circular shape printed dipole structure is studied to achieve wide bandwidth and dual-band circular polarization (CP) behavior along with dual polarizations. The idea behind this structure is that asymmetric geometry can give rise to circular polarization with an optimized position of coaxial probe feed. The circular patches on both sides of the substrate are altered with elliptical slots at an optimized location in association with opening slots. With these alterations the impedance bandwidth for S11<-10 dB is ranging from 2.36-7.34 GHz (4.97 GHz) which is nearly 102.5% about mid-point frequency 4.85 GHz. The antenna resonates at a lower band (1.55 GHz) and shows linear polarization (LP) operation at that band whereas dual CP bands with dual senses are obtained at higher frequency ranges 4.00-4.60 GHz and 6.07-7.13 GHz respectively with 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of 13.7% and 16.6%. The simulated and measured experimental results are in close agreement. This antenna is suitable to be used for navigation purposes, radar communication, and wireless communication (especially wireless avionics intra communications) in S and C bands, respectively.
Jitendra Kumar Deegwal,
"Dual Band Circular Polarized Printed Dipole Antenna for S and C Band Wireless Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 105, 129-146, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20050301
1. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
2. Gao, S. S., Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antennas, Wiley-IEEE Press, UK, 2013.
3. Sharma, V., V. K. Saxena, K. B. Sharma, and D. Bhatnagar, "Radiation performance of circularly polarized broadband gap coupled elliptical patch antenna," FREQUENZ Journal of RFEngineering and Telecommunications, Vol. 66, No. 3, 69-74, 2012.
4. Kumar, S., B. K. Kanaujia, M. K. Khandelwal, and A. K. Gautam, "Single-feed circularly polarized stacked patch antenna with small-frequency ratio for dual-band wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 8, 1207-1213, 2015.
5. Tan, M. T. and B. Z. Wang, "A dual-band circularly polarized planar monopole antenna for WLAN/Wi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 670-673, 2016.
6. Li, Q., Y. Wei, C. Ding, M. Tan, L. Zhang, X. Lei, G. Wu, Z.Wang, Z. Lu, and Y. Gong, "Dual-band circularly polarised planar monopole antenna for WLAN/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 6, 972-976, 2018.
7. Kumar, S., R. K. Vishwakarm, R. Kumar, J. Anguera, and A. Andujar, "Slotted circularly polarized microstrip antenna for RFID application," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, No. 4, 1025-1032, December 2017.
8. Maddio, S., G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "A circularly polarized antenna for dual band operation at 2.45 GHz and 5.10 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 74, 1-8, 2017.
9. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual frequency circularly polarized patch antenna with compact size and small frequency ratio," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 7, 2104-2107, 2007.
10. Wang, K., X. Liang, W. Zhu, J. Geng, J. Li, Z. Ding, and R. Jin, "A dual-wideband dual-polarized aperture-shared patch antenna with high isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, 735-738, 2018.
11. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Monofilar spiral slot antenna for dual-frequency dual-sense circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3061-3065, 2011.
12. Kandasamy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "Dual-band circularly polarized split ring resonators loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3640-3645, 2016.
13. Bhattacharjee, S., S. Maity, S. R. B. Chaudhuri, and M. Mitra, "A compact dual-band dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for on-body applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 8, 5044-5053, 2019.
14. Xu, R., J. Li, and G. Yang, "A novel dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized antenna based on simple printed dipole structure," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 2017.
15. Bhattacharjee, S., M. Madiya, M. Mitra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "Dual band-dual polarized planar inverted F-antenna for MBAN applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, No. 1, 76-861–11, 2019.
16. Midya, M., S. Bhattacharjee, G. K. Das, and M. Mitra, "Dual-band dual-polarized compact planar monopole antenna for wide axial ratio bandwidth application," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, 1-10, 2020.
17. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294, 1998.
18. EM Simulation Software — CST Studio Suite, , 2017.
19. Jhajharia, T., V. Tiwari, D. Bhatnagar, D. Yadav, and S. Rawat, "A dual-band CP dual-orthogonal arms monopole antenna with slanting edge DGS for C-band wireless applications," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 84, 251-257, 2018.
20. Jhajharia, T., V. Tiwari, and D. Bhatnagar, "Polarisation reconfigurable dual-band circularly polarised patch antenna with defected ground plane for C-band wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 14, 2551-2558, 2019.
22. IEEE Standard Test Procedures for Antennas, ANSI/IEEE Std, 149-1979, 1979.
23. Niyamanon, S., R. Senathong, and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Dual frequency circularly polarized truncated square aperture patch antenna with slant strip and L-shaped slot for WLAN applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2018, Article ID 7684742, 11 pages, 2018.
24. Liang, W., Y. Jiao, Y. Luan, and C. Tian, "A dual-band circularly polarized complementary antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1153-1156, 2015.
25. Saini, R. K., S. Dwari, and M. K. Mandal, "CPW fed dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2497-2500, 2017.
26. Shi, S., W. P. Ding, and K. Luo, "A monopole antenna with dual-band reconfigurable circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 35-42, 2014.
27. Midya, M., S. Bhattacharjee, and M. Mitra, "CPW-fed dual-band dual-sense circularly polarized antenna for WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 81, 113-120, 2019.