In this paper, a novel compact high-gain multi-layer dielectric resonator antenna for ultra-wideband applications is designed and fabricated. The proposed antenna employs a new technique to make a notch-band for the frequencies within UWB. This technique helps avoid any interference for bands like WLAN and X-band for satellite applications. In this design, several notch bands can get at different frequencies by changing the length of slots. The operating bandwidth of this antenna is between 4.8 GHz and 11.31 GHz with -10 dB return-loss and maximum gain of 6 dBi. Finally, the proposed antenna is fabricated and measured to validate the simulation results. The simulation results are obtained by two different simulators; CST Studio suite TM 2020 and HFSS 15 to ensure the validity of the design results before fabrication. The fabricated antenna is measuredusing Agilent R&S Z67 VNA. There is a good agreement between the simulation and experimental results.
Mai Fouad Ahmed,
Mona Abdel Ghany Mohamed,
Abdelhameed Abdelmoneim Shaalan,
Walid Saber El-Deeb,
"A Novel Compact Dual Notch with High-Gain Multi-Layer Dielectric Resonator Antenna for Ultrawide-Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 112, 127-137, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22061204
1. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press, Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, 2003.
2. Bethala, C. and M. Kamsali, "Design of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for mobile wireless application," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society, Vol. 36, No. 5, 568-576, 2021. doi:10.47037/2020.ACES.J.360511
3. Chauhan, M. and B. Mukherjee, "Investigation of T-shaped compact dielectric resonator antenna for wideband application," Radioelectronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 62, No. 11, 594-603, 2019. doi:10.3103/S0735272719110050
4. Zebiri, C., H. A. Obeidat, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Sayad, I. T. Elfergani, J. S. Kosha, W. F. Mshwat, C. H. See, M. Lashab, J. Rodriguez, and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Antenna for ultra-wideband applications with non-uniform defected ground plane and offset aperture-coupled cylindrical dielectric resonators," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 166776-166787, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2949527
5. Kaur, G. and A. Kaur, "X-shaped ultra-wide band dielectric resonator antenna used for microwave imaging applications," 2021 International Conference on Advance Computing and Innovative Technologies in Engineering (ICACITE), 2021.
6. Zitouni, A. and N. Boukli-Hacene, "T-shaped compact dielectric resonator antenna for UWB application," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 8, No. 3, 57-63, 2019. doi:10.7716/aem.v8i3.1077
7. Vasisht, P., R. Mark, and N. Chattoraj, "An ultra-wideband rectangular ring dielectric resonator antenna integrated with hybrid shaped patch for wireless applications," Frequenz, Vol. 75, No. 9-10, 399-406, 2021. doi:10.1515/freq-2020-0218
8. Abedian, M., S. K. Rahim, and M. Khalily, "Two-segments compact dielectric resonator antenna for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1533-1536, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2232639
9. Abedian, M., S. K. Rahim, S. Danesh, S. Hakimi, L. Y. Cheong, and M. H. Jamaluddin, "Novel design of compact UWB dielectric resonator antenna with dual-band-rejection characteristics for Wi-MAX/WLAN bands," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 245-248, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2360828
10. Aldhaheri, R. W. and I. S. Alruhaili, "A simple and compact CPW-fed UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection," 2019 IEEE 19th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 2019.
11. Majeed, A. H., A. S. Abdullah, K. H. Sayidmarie, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, F. Elmegri, and J. M. Noras, "Compact dielectric resonator antenna with band-notched characteristics for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 137-148, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15022102
12. Suwanta, P., P. Krachodnok, and R. Wongson, "Wideband inverted L-shaped dielectric resonator antenna for medical applications," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics (ICCEM), 2017.
13. Lu, L., Y.-C. Jiao, H. Zhang, R. Wang, and T. Li, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with stair-shaped dielectric resonator and open-ended slot ground," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1755-1758, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2532931
14. Bong, H. U., M. Jeong, N. Hussain, S. Y. Rhee, S. K. Gil, and N. Kim, "Design of an UWB antenna with two slits for 5G/WLAN-notched bands," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 5, 1295-1300, 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31670
15. Lu, L., Y.-C. Jiao, H. Zhang, R. Wang, and T. Li, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with stair-shaped dielectric resonator and open-ended slot ground," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1755-1758, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2532931
16. ANSYS High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS), version 17.0.
17. Guha, D., B. Gupta, and Y. M. Antar, "Hybrid monopole-DRAs using hemispherical/conical- shaped dielectric ring resonators: Improved Ultrawideband designs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 393-398, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167948
18. George, J., C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, K. G. Nair, H. Sreemoolanathan, and M. T. Sebastian, "Dielectric-resonator-loaded microstrip antenna for enhanced impedance bandwidth and efficiency," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 205-207, 1998. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1098-2760(19980220)17:3<205::AID-MOP16>3.0.CO;2-3
19. Trivedi, K. and D. A. Pujara, "Design and development of a wideband fractal tetrahedron dielectric resonator antenna with triangular slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 47-55, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17061103
20. Wang, J., H. Ning, Q. Xiong, and L. Mao, "A compact narrow band stop filter using spiral shaped detected microstrip structure," Radio Eng., Vol. 23, No. 1, 20-213, 2014.