The integration of the Iterative Multi-Scaling Multi-Region (IMSMR) procedure and the Inexact-Newton method (INM) is proposed within the contrast-field formulation of the inverse scattering problem. Thanks to its features, such an implementation is expected to effectively deal with the reconstruction of separated objects. A selected set of numerical results is presented to assess the potentialities of the IMSMR-INM method also in comparison with previous INM-based inversions.
3. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, and M. Pastorino, "Numerical assessment concerning a focused microwave diagnostic method for medical applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1815-1830, Nov. 2000.
4. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Rosani, "Microwave medical imaging: potentialities and limitations of a stochastic optimization technique," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1909-1916, Aug. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.832016
5. Zhou, H., T. Takenaka, J. Johnson, and T. Tanaka, "A breast imaging model using microwaves and a time domain three dimen-sional reconstruction method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 57-70, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09033001
6. Chen, C.-C., J. T. Johnson, M. Sato, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Special issue on subsurface sensing using ground-penetrating radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 45, No. 8, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.902827
7. Lesselier, D. and J. Bowler, "Special issue on electromagnetic and ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, No. 6, Dec. 2002. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/18/6/001
8. Harada, H., D. J. N. Wall, T. Takenaka, and T. Tanaka, "Conjugate gradient method applied to inverse scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, 784-792, Aug. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.402197
9. Ferraye, R., J. Y. Dauvignac, and C. Pichot, "Reconstruction of complex and multiple shape object contours using a level set method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 153-181, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322235770
11. Colton, D. and R. Kress, Inverse Acoustic and Electromagnetic Scattering Theory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1998.
12. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, and M. Pastorino, "A computational technique based on a real-coded genetic algorithm for microwave imaging purposes," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 38, No. 4, 1697-1708, Jul. 2000. doi:10.1109/36.851968
13. Donelli, M. and A. Massa, "A computational approach based on a particle swarm optimizer for microwave imaging of two-dimensional dielectric scatterers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1761-1776, May 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.847068
14. Pastorino, M., "Stochastic optimization methods applied to microwave imaging: A review," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 538-548, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891568
15. Rocca, P., M. Benedetti, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "Evolutionary optimization as applied to inverse scattering problems," Inverse Probl., Vol. 25, No. 12, 1-41, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/25/12/123003
16., Van den Berg, P. M. and A. Abubakar, "Contrast source inversion method: State of the art," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 34, 189-218, 2001.
17. Rocca, P., M. Donelli, G. L. Gragnani, and A. Massa, "Iterative multi-resolution retrieval of non-measurable equivalent currents for imaging purposes," Inverse Probl., Vol. 25, No. 5, 1-25, May 2009. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/25/5/055004
19. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A new methodology based on an iterative multiscaling for microwave imaging," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1162-1173, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809677
20. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, and A. Massa, "Detection,location, and imaging of multiple scatterers by means of the iterative multiscaling method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1217-1228, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825699
21. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the degrees of freedom of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, 918-926, Jul. 1989.
22. Mojabi, P. and J. LoVetri, "Overview and classification of some regularization techniques for the Gauss-Newton inversion method applied to inverse scattering problems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2658-2665, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027161
23. Bozza, G., C. Estatico, A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "Short-range imagebased method for the inspection of strong scatterers using microwaves," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 56, No. 4, 1181-1188, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIM.2007.900127
24. Oliveri, G., G. Bozza, A. Massa, and M. Pastorino, "Iterative multi scaling-enhanced inexact Newton-method for microwave imaging," Proc. 2010 IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1-4, Toronto (Canada), Jul. 11-17, 2010.
25. Bozza, G., L. Lizzi, A. Massa, G. Oliveri, and M. Pastorino, "An iterative multi-scaling scheme for the electromagnetic imaging of separated scatterers by the Inexact-Newton method," Proc. of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques (IST), 85-89, Thessaloniki, Greece, Jul. 1-2, 2010.
26. Richmond, J. H., "Scattering by a dielectric cylinder of arbitrary cross shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 3, 334-341, May 1965. doi:10.1109/TAP.1965.1138427
27. Landweber, L., "An iteration formula for Fredholm integral equations of the first kind," American Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 73, No. 3, 615-624, Jul. 1951. doi:10.2307/2372313