To make a truly compact size system on-chip (SoC) device for wireless bio-telemetry application, the design of a miniaturized on-chip antenna (OCA) with enhanced gain becomes a prime challenge in recent time. Unsuitable Si (Silicon) substrate and relatively larger antenna size at lower microwave frequencies make it even more challenging for the researchers. In this work, an OCA is designed on a low resistive (ρ = 10 ohm.cm) Si substrate by using standard CMOS technology process. The top metal layer of CMOS layout has been used for designing the antenna to reduce fabrication complexity. By using slot miniaturization technique, the proposed antenna size of λ0/22 x λ0/21.4 mm2 is achieved and operable at ISM 915 MHz band for biotelemetry applications. A gain enhancement technique for OCA is proposed by introducing a 0.2 μm thin film of Cobalt Zirconium Oxide (CoZrO) ferrite material, and the gain is enhanced by +12.28 dB with the bandwidth and fractional bandwidth (FBW) of 1.14 GHz and 124%, respectively. The simulation results of the proposed antenna with coating of bio-compatible material show its potential applicability for implantable bio-telemetry applications. An equivalent circuit of the proposed OCA is presented and verified by ADS circuit simulator.
Sujit Kumar Mandal,
"A Silicon-Based Ferrite Loaded Miniaturized on-Chip Antenna with Enhanced Gain for Implantable Bio-Telemetry Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 91, 69-79, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20011307
1. Bloom, D. E., S. Black, and R. Rappuoli, "Emerging infectious diseases: A proactive approach," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., Vol. 114, No. 16, 4055-4059, 2017. doi:10.1073/pnas.1701410114
2. Kiourti, A. and K. S. Nikita, "A review of implantable patch antennas for biomedical telemetry: Challenges and solutions," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 3, June 2012. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6293992
3. Volakis, J. L., C.-C. Chen, and K. Fujimoto, Small Antennas: Miniaturization Techniques and Applications, McGraw Hill, New York, 2010.
4. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, September 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
5. Payandehjoo, K. and R. Abhari, "On-chip implementation of compact electromagnetic bandgap structures for 60 GHz applications," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1816-1819, Spokane, WA, 2011.
6. Deng, X., Y. Li, C. Liu, W. Wu, and Y. Xiong, "340 GHz on-chip 3-D antenna with 10 dBi gain and 80% radiation efficiency," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, 619-627, July 2015. doi:10.1109/TTHZ.2015.2424682
7. Bijumon, P. V., Y. M. M. Antar, A. P. Freundorfer, and M. Sayer, "Dielectric resonator antenna on silicon substrate for system on-chip applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3404-3410, November 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005537
8. Nafe, M., A. Syed, and A. Shamim, "Gain-enhanced on-chip folded dipole antenna utilizing artificial magnetic conductor at 94 GHz," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2844-2847, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2749308
9. Singh, H., S. Mandal, S. K. Mandal, and A. Karmakar, "Design of miniaturised meandered loop on-chip antenna with enhanced gain using shorted partially shield layer for communication at 9.45 GHz," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 7, 1009-1016, December 6, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5974
10. Pan, S., D. Wang, C. Guclu, and F. Capolino, "High impedance layer for CMOS on-chip antenna at millimeter waves," IEEE Antennas Propagation Symp., 903-907, 2011.
11. Liu, Y., V. Pano, D. Patron, K. Dandekar, and B. Taskin, "Innovative propagation mechanism for inter-chip and intra-chip communication," IEEE 16th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 1-6, Cocoa Beach, FL, 2015.
12. Liu, P., L. Chang, Y. Li, Z. Zhang, S. Wang, and Z. Feng, "A millimeter-wave micromachined air-filled slot antenna fed by patch," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 7, No. 10, 1683-1690, October 2017. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2017.2711361
13. Dey, D. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "High gain and efficient patch antenna on micromachined GaAs EBGs with increased bandwidth," 2006 Annual IEEE India Conference, 1-5, New Delhi, 2006.
14. Bae, S., et al., "Miniaturized broadband ferrite T-DMB antenna for mobile-phone applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 6, 2361-2364, June 2010, doi: 10.1109/TMAG.2010.2044376. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2044376
15. Von Aulock, W. H., Handbook of Microwave Ferrites, Academic Press, New York, 1965.
16. Mitu, S. S. I. and F. Sultan, "Beam scanning properties of a ferrite loaded microstrip patch antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, Article ID 697409, 8 pages, 2015.
17. Cheema, H. and A. Shamim, "The last barrier: on-chip antennas," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 14, No. 1, 79, January 2013. doi:10.1109/MMM.2012.2226542
18. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, 46, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
19. Meshram, M. K. and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Gap-coupled microstrip array antenna for wide band operation," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 88, 1161, 2001. doi:10.1080/00207210110071288
20. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, and S. Toutain, "Simultaneous modeling of impedance and radiation pattern antenna for UWB pulse modulation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Symposium, Vol. 2, 1871-1874, Monterey, CA, USA, 2004.
21. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert, Microstrip Antennas: The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
22. Li, C. and T. Chiu, "340-GHz low-cost and high-gain on-chip higher order mode dielectric resonator antenna for THz applications," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3, 284-294, May 2017. doi:10.1109/TTHZ.2017.2670234
23. McKinzie, W. E., D. M. Nair, B. A. Thrasher, M. A. Smith, E. D. Hughes, and J. M. Parisi, "60-GHz 2 × 2 LTCC patch antenna array with an integrated EBG structure for gain enhancement," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1522-1525, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2517141
24. Mou, J., Q. Xue, D. Guo, and X. Lv, "A THz detector chip with printed circular cavity as package and enhancement of antenna gain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1242-1249, April 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526068
25. Hou, D., Y. Xiong, W. Goh, S. Hu, W. Hong, and M. Madihian, "130-GHz on-chip meander slot antennas with stacked dielectric resonators in standard CMOS technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4102-4109, September 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207077