We present an analytical analysis of a metasurface-based ambient electromagnetic energy harvesting system in which the bi-anisotropic particles loaded with a resistor are used. The proposed metasurface composed of an array of bi-anisotropic particles referred to as an electromagnetic energy harvester that can capture the ambient incident electromagnetic wave energy with a radiative to AC conversation efficiency of around 100%. The captured energy by metasurface is delivered to the load. The load acts as the input impedance of a rectification circuit in a rectenna system. The derived optimal polarizable inclusions can be applied to design bi-anisotropic metasurfaces which can be used for electromagnetic energy harvesting. Finally, the optimal dimensions of a typical chiral structure have been calculated to achieve maximum efficiency for circularly polarized propagating waves.
"BI-Anisotropic Particles and Chiral Inclusions for Highly-Efficient Electromagnetic Energy Harvesting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 93, 67-76, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20040105
1. Tesla, N., Apparatus for Transmitting Electrical Energy, Google Patents, 1914.
2. Brown, W. C., "The history of power transmission by radio waves," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1230-1242, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132833
3. Chin, C.-H., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Design of a 5.8-GHz rectenna incorporating a new patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 175-178, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.846434
4. Ren, Y.-J. and K. Chang, "5.8-GHz circularly polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1495-1502, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.871362
5. Erb, R. B., "Power from space - The tough questions: The 1995 Peter E. Glaser lecture," Acta Astronautica, Vol. 38, No. 4-8, 539-550, 1996. doi:10.1016/0094-5765(96)82324-1
6. Valenta, C. R. and G. D. Durgin, "Harvesting wireless power: Survey of energy-harvester conversion efficiency in far-field, wireless power transfer systems," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 4, 108-120, 2014. doi:10.1109/MMM.2014.2309499
7. Yo, T.-C., C.-M. Lee, C.-M. Hsu, and C.-H. Luo, "Compact circularly polarized rectenna with unbalanced circular slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 882-886, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916956
8. Heikkinen, J. and M. Kivikoski, "A novel dual-frequency circularly polarized rectenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 330-333, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.824166
9. Harouni, Z., L. Cirio, L. Osman, A. Gharsallah, and O. Picon, "A dual circularly polarized 2.45-GHz rectenna for wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 306-309, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2141973
10. Hagerty, J. A. and Z. Popovic, "An experimental and theoretical characterization of a broadband arbitrarily-polarized rectenna array," 2001 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Sympsoium Digest (Cat. No. 01CH37157), Vol. 3, 1855-1858, IEEE, 2001. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2001.967269
11. Holloway, C. L., E. F. Kuester, J. A. Gordon, J. O'Hara, J. Booth, and D. R. Smith, "An overview of the theory and applications of metasurfaces: The two-dimensional equivalents of metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 2, 10-35, 2012. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6230714
12. Ra'Di, Y., C. Simovski, and S. Tretyakov, "Thin perfect absorbers for electromagnetic waves: Theory, design, and realizations," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 3, No. 3, 037001, 2015. doi:10.1103/PhysRevApplied.3.037001
13. Ramahi, O. M., T. S. Almoneef, M. AlShareef, and M. S. Boybay, "Metamaterial particles for electromagnetic energy harvesting," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 101, No. 17, 173903, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.4764054
14. Almoneef, T. S., F. Erkmen, and O. M. Ramahi, "Harvesting the energy of multi-polarized electromagnetic waves," Sci. Rep., Vol. 7, No. 1, 14656, Nov. 7, 2017. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-15298-5
15. Zhang, X., H. Liu, and L. Li, "Tri-band miniaturized wide-angle and polarization-insensitive metasurface for ambient energy harvesting," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 111, No. 7, 071902, 2017. doi:10.1063/1.4999327
16. Alavikia, B., T. S. Almoneef, and O. M. Ramahi, "Wideband resonator arrays for electromagnetic energy harvesting and wireless power transfer," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 107, No. 24, 243902, 2015. doi:10.1063/1.4937591
17. Dong, Z., F. Yang, and J. S. Ho, "Enhanced electromagnetic energy harvesting with subwavelength chiral structures," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 8, No. 4, 044026, 2017. doi:10.1103/PhysRevApplied.8.044026
18. Asadchy, V. S., I. A. Faniayeu, Y. Ra'Di, S. Khakhomov, I. Semchenko, and S. Tretyakov, "Broadband reflectionless metasheets: Frequency-selective transmission and perfect absorption," Physical Review X, Vol. 5, No. 3, 031005, 2015. doi:10.1103/PhysRevX.5.031005
19. Serdiukov, A., I. Semchenko, S. Tertyakov, and A. Sihvola, Electromagnetics of Bi-anisotropic Materials - Theory and Application, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, 2001.
20. Kwon, D.-H. and D. M. Pozar, "Optimal characteristics of an arbitrary receive antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3720-3727, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2025975
21. Niemi, T., A. O. Karilainen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Synthesis of polarization transformers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 3102-3111, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2252136
23. Salisbury, W. W., Absorbent Body for Electromagnetic Waves, Google Patents, 1952.
24. Ra'di, Y. and S. A. Tretyakov, "Balanced and optimal bianisotropic particles: Maximizing power extracted from electromagnetic fields," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 15, No. 5, 053008, 2013. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/15/5/053008
25. Tretyakov, S. A., F. Mariotte, C. R. Simovski, T. G. Kharina, and J.-P. Heliot, "Analytical antenna model for chiral scatterers: Comparison with numerical and experimental data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 7, 1006-1014, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.504309
26. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.