A novel ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple band rejection capabilities operating in quad bands is presented. The proposed UWB antenna is derived from a planar rectangular shaped monopole antenna. In order to improve the bandwidth ratio of the antenna, a partial ground is maintained with a slot at centre along with truncated slots made at bottom two corners and a rectangular slot at top side centre of the radiating patch. In order to achieve the required triple notch characteristics and the multiband operation, a single meander line slot is made in the middle of the patch. The dimensions of the meander line slot are varied to change the notch band characteristics of the antenna. The FR4 substrate with dielectric constant 4.4 with thickness of 1.6 mm is used to design the antenna. The overall size of the antenna is maintained compact with dimensions 40 mm×38 mm. The proposed UWB antenna rejects triple bands 3.29 GHz-4.83 GHz (WiMAX), 5.15 GHz-6.84 GHz (WLAN), & 7.94 GHz-8.49 GHz (X-band satellite uplink). The operational bands of the UWB antenna with triple notch bands are as follows, 2.38 GHz-3.29 GHz, 4.83 GHz-5.15 GHz, 6.84 GHz-7.94 GHz, and 8.49 GHz-13.15 GHz. The measured peak gains at 2.7 GHz, 5 GHz, 7.3 GHz, 8.7 GHz, and 11.5 GHz are 3.4 dBi, 2.8 dBi, 3.6 dBi, 3.3 dBi, & 3.88 dBi, respectively. The step-by-step implementation of the triple notch band UWB antenna and the comparative analysis is presented. The proposed antenna performance is presented with the help of reflection coefficient, VSWR, gain, field distributions and radiation pattern curves. The simulated and measured analysis comparison shows good agreement making the designed antenna a good candidate for UWB applications that require multiband operations with selected bands rejection.
1. Matin, M., Ultra-Wideband - Current Status and Future Trends, Ultra-Wideband Antenna and Design, 10.5772/2588, 2012.
2. Kumar, O. P., P. Kumar, T. Ali, P. Kumar, and S. Vincent, "Ultrawideband antennas: Growth and evolution," Micromachines, Vol. 13, No. 1, 60, https://doi.org/10.3390/mi13010060, 2022.
3. Cicchetti, R., E. Miozzi, and O. Testa, "Wideband and UWB antennas for wireless applications: A comprehensive review," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-45, 2017, doi: 10.1155/2017/2390808.
4. Alani, S., et al., "A review on UWB antenna sensor for wireless body area networks," 2020 4th International Symposium on Multidisciplinary Studies and Innovative Technologies (ISMSIT), 1-10, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ISMSIT50672.2020.9254219.
5. Ganesan, I. and P. Iyampalam, "A review of ultra-wideband fractal antennas," 2018 Second International Conference on Inventive Communication and Computational Technologies (ICICCT), 1408-1412, 2018, doi: 10.1109/ICICCT.2018.8473118.
6. Reddy, A. P. and P. Muthusamy, "A review on UWB metamaterial antenna," Innovations in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, Vol. 107, H. S. Saini, R. K. Singh, M. Tariq Beg, J. S. Sahambi (eds.), Springer, Singapore, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-3172-9_27, 2020.
7. Kaur, K., A. Kumar, and N. Sharma, "A review of ultra wideband antennas with band notched characteristics," Proceedings of the International Conference on Innovative Computing & Communications (ICICC) 2020, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3565018 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3565018, March 31, 2020.
8. Kumar, G. and R. Kumar, "A survey on planar ultra-wideband antennas with band notch characteristics: Principle, design, and applications," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, S1434841118325330, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.07.004.
9. Nikolaou, S. and M. A. B. Abbasi, "Design and development of a compact UWB monopole antenna with easily-controllable return loss," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2063-2067, https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2670322, 2017.
10. Xavier, B., Ultra Wide Band Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2011.
11. Gupta, M. and V. Mathur, "Hexagonal fractal antenna using koch for wireless applications," Frequenz, 2018, doi: 10.1515/freq-2017-0203.
12. Susila, M., T. Rama Rao, and A. Gupta, "A novel smiley fractal antenna (SFA) design and development for UWB wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 54, 171-178, 2014.
13. Paik, H., L. C. Teja, M. A. Reddy, and K. S. T. Reddy, "A miniaturized fractal antenna with square ring slots for ultrawideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 169-177, 2021.
14. Ali, T., B. K. Subhash, and R. C. Biradar, "A miniaturized decagonal Sierpinski UWB fractal antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 84, 161-174, 2018.
15. Gupta, S. C., M. Kumar, and R. Meena, "Design and analysis of UWB filter with single notch band," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 101, 1091-1100, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-018-5750-1.
16. Chu, Q. and X. Tian, "Design of a compact UWB bandpass filter with notched band," 2010 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 37-40, 2010.
17. Nesasudha, M., "A compact ultra wide band bandpass filter with dual band notch designed based on composite right/left-handed transmission line unit cell," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., e21569, https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.21569, 2018.
18. Taibi, A., M. Trabelsi, and A. A. Saadi, "Efficient design approach of triple notched UWB filter," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 131, 153619, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2021.153619.
19. Sazid, M. and N. S. Raghava, "Planar UWB-bandpass filter with multiple passband transmission zeros," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 134, 153711, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2021.153711.
20. Janapala, D. K., M. Nesasudha, and T. Mary Neebha, "SAR analysis of UWB antennas for wireless body area network applications," Body Area Network Challenges and Solutions. EAI/Springer Innovations in Communication and Computing, R. Maheswar, G. Kanagachidambaresan, R. Jayaparvathy, S. Thampi, editors, Springer, Cham., https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-00865-9_6, 2019.
21. Rehman, S. U. and M. A. S. Alkanhal, "Design and system characterization of ultra-wideband antennas with multiple band-rejection," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 17988-17996, 2017, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2715881.
22. Tang, Z., X. Wu, J. Zhan, S. Hu, Z. Xi, and Y. Liu, "Compact UWB-MIMO antenna with high isolation and triple band-notched characteristics," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 19856-19865, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2897170.
23. Peddakrishna, S. and T. Khan, "Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched band characteristics by using π-shaped slot and EBG resonator," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 96, 107-112, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2018.09.014.
24. Taher, N., A. Zakriti, N. A. Touhami, and F. Rahmani, "A tri-band-notched antenna for UWB communication systems," Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 46, 822-827, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2020.04.01.
25. MuhibUr, R., W. T. Khan, and M. Imran, "Penta-notched UWB antenna with sharp frequency edge selectivity using combination of SRR, CSRR, and DGS," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 116-122, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2018.06.010.
26. Alizadeh, F., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, H. Abdi, and B. Mohammadi, "UWB dual-notched planar antenna by utilizing compact open meander slitted EBG structure," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 136, 153715, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2021.15371.
27. Ellis, M. S., P. Arthur, A. R. Ahmed, J. J. Kponyo, B. Andoh-Mensah, and B. John, "Design and circuit analysis of a single and dual band-notched UWB antenna using vertical stubs embedded in feedline," Heliyon, Vol. 7, No. 12, E08554, 2021, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e08554.
28. Yadav, A., D. Sethi, and R. K. Khanna, "Slot loaded UWB antenna: Dual band notched characteristics," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 3, 331-335, March 2016.
29. Singh, H. S. and S. Kalraiya, "Design and analysis of a compact WiMAX and WLAN band notched planar monopole antenna for UWB and bluetooth applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e21432, 2018, doi: 10.1002/mmce.21432.
30. Kumar, G., D. Singh, and R. Kumar, "A planar CPW fed UWB antenna with dual rectangular notch band characteristics incorporating U-slot, SRRs, and EBGs," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 7, 2021, doi: 10.1002/mmce.22676.
31. Sung, Y., "UWB monopole antenna with two notched bands based on the folded stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 500-502, 2012, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199073.
32. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, W. Feng, and X. W. Shi, "Planar antenna for 3G/Bluetooth/WiMAX and UWB applications with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 61-64, 2012, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2012.2183671.
33. Ur Rahman, S., Q. Cao, Y. Li, I. Gil, and W. Yi, "Design of tri-notched UWB antenna based on elliptical and circular ring resonators," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, e21648, 2018, doi: 10.1002/mmce.21648.
34. Abbas, A., N. Hussain, J. Lee, S. G. Park, and N. Kim, "Triple rectangular notch UWB antenna using EBG and SRR," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 2508-2515, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3047401.
35. Modak, S., T. Khan, and R. H. Laskar, "Loaded UWB monopole antenna for quad band-notched characteristics," IETE Technical Review, 1-9, 2021, doi: 10.1080/02564602.2021.1878942.
36. Chakraborty, M., S. Pal, and N. Chattoraj, "Quad notch UWB antenna using combination of slots and split-ring resonator," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 2019, doi: 10.1002/mmce.22086.
38. Nirmal, P., A. B. Nandgaanka, and S. L. Nalbalwa, "A MIMO antenna: Study on reducing mutual coupling and improving isolation," Recent Trends in Electronics, Information & Communication Technology (RTEICT), 2016.