Low frequency imaging in radar domain can have applications for stealthy or buried targets. The transient scattering response from a ramp waveform is related to the profile function of the target, namely its transverse cross-sectional area along the line-of-sight, and thus provides information about the target size, orientation and geometrical shape. Such ramp responses can be used to generate a 3-dimensional image of the global shape of the target. Former imaging algorithm uses approximate limiting surfaces and is therefore limited to single convex objects. Here is proposed a new algorithm able to reconstruct non-convex as well as separated targets, from their ramp response signatures.
Nicole de Beaucoudrey,
"A New Algorithm of 3D Image Reconstruction of Radar Targets from Ramp Responses in Low Frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 16, 1-18, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM10070805
1. Colton, D. and R. Kress, Inverse Acoustic and Electromagnetic Scattering Theory, 2 Ed., Series: Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 93, Springer-Verlag, 1998.
2. Solimene, R., A. Brancaccio, R. Di Napoli, and R. Pierri, "3D sliced tomographic inverse scattering experimental results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 1-13, 2010.
3. Chavent, G. and P. C. Sabatier, Proceedings of Inverse Problems of Wave Propagation and Diffraction, Vol. 486, Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer, Aix-les-Bains, France, 1997.
4. Bojarski, N. N., Three-dimensional Electromagnetic Short Pulse Inverse Scattering, Syracuse University, Res. Corp., Syracuse, NY, Feb. 1967.
5. Young, J. D., "Radar imaging from ramp response signatures," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 24, 276-282, May 1976.
6. Kennaugh, E. M. and D. L. Moffatt, "Transient and impulse response approximations," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 53, 893-901, 1965.
7. Shubert, K. A., J. D. Young, and D. L. Moffatt, "Synthetic radar imagery," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 25, 477-483, Jul. 1977.
8. Moffatt, D. L., "Ramp response radar imagery spectral content," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 29, 399-401, Mar. 1981.
9. Nag, S. and L. Peters Jr., "Radar images of penetrable targets generated from ramp profile functions," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 49, 32-40, Jan. 2001.
10. Chen, C.-C. and L. Peters Jr., "Radar scattering and target imaging obtained using ramp-response techniques," Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 3, 13-27, Jun. 2007.
11. Moffatt, D. L., J. D. Young, A. A. Ksienski, H.-C. Lin, and C. M. Rhoads, "Transient response characteristics in identification and imaging," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 29, 192-204, Mar. 1981.
12. Nag, S. and L. Peters Jr., "Ramp response signatures of dielectric targets, especially land mines," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 1, 213-315, Jul. 1998.
13. Chen, C.-C. and L. Peters Jr., "Ramp response signatures for UXOs," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 4, 1436-1438, 2000.
14. Young, J. D., "Target imaging from multiple frequency radar returns,", Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Jun. 1971.
15. Nag, S., "Ramp response signatures of dielectric scatterers,", Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Dec. 1999.
16. Zhang, X. M., W. Lib, and G. R. Liu, "A new technique in ramp response for acoustic imaging of underwater objects," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 63, 453-465, 2002.
17. Li, W., G. R. Liu, and V. K. Varadan, "Acoustical imaging of underwater objects using the bistatic ramp response signals," IOP, Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 13, 169-174, 2004.
18. Chauveau, J. and N. de Beaucoudrey, "Ramp response radar imaging: Analysis of frequency parameters," European Microwave Week 2010 (EuMW), Paris, France, Sep. 26-Oct. 1, 2010.
19. Chauveau, J. and N. de Beaucoudrey, "Characterization of details of large targets with the low-frequency ramp response technique," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Jul. 11-17, 2010.
20. Chauveau, J., N. de Beaucoudrey, and J. Saillard, "Radar target imaging from ramp responses using low frequency extrapolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 18-21, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 18-21, 2009.
21. FEKO, , Software of Electromagnetic Simulations, http://www.feko.info.
22. Tsao, S.-J. J., "Image reconstruction using ramp response signatures,", Ph.D. Dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, May 1985.
23. Chauveau, J. and N. de Beaucoudrey, "Low frequency imaging of separated objects using the ramp response technique," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Jul. 11-17, 2010.