The goal of this paper is to use defected ground structure (DGS) in microstrip antennas for dual band operation at microwave frequencies. The soft nature of the DGS facilitates improvement in the performance of microstrip antennas. A design study on microstrip patch antenna with specific DGS slot has been presented in the proposed work. In this paper, a stacked microstrip patch antenna (SMPA) has been designed for broadband behavior, and then skew-F shaped DGS has been integrated with a detailed study of possible DGS slots in a small area for dual band operation. The design and optimization of both the SMPA and DGS structures along with the parametric study were carried out using CST Microwave Studio V.9. Further, the dual band antenna, i.e., the SMPA with skew-F shaped DGS, has been fabricated, and the experimental results have shown a good agreement with the simulation ones.
1. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1995.
2. Arya, A. K., M. V. Kartikeyan, and A. Patnaik, "Defected ground structure in the perspective of microstrip antennas: A review," Frequenz, Int. Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications, Vol. 64, 79-84, 2010.
3. Mak, C. L., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Microstrip line-fed L-strip patch antenna," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 4, 282-284, 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990569
4. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "U-slot circular patch antennas with L-probe feeding," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 20, 1694-1695, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19991203
5. Viratelle, D. and R. J. Langley, "Dual-band printed antenna for mobile telephone applications," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 147, No. 5, 381-382, 2000. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20000677
6. Lelaratne, R. and R. J. Langley, "Dual band patch antenna for mobile satellite systems," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 147, No. 6, 427-428, 2000. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20000864
7. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Dual-band slot loaded short circuited patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 4, 289-290, 2002. doi:10.1049/el:20000305
8. Lu, J.-H., "Broadband dual-frequency operation of circular patch antennas and arrays with a pair of L-shaped slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1018-1024, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811477
9. Liu, W. C. and W. R. Chen, "CPW-fed compact meandered patch antenna for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 18, 1094-1095, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045335
10. Lau, K.-L., H. Wong, C.-L. Mak, K.-M. Luk, and K.-F. Lee, "A vertical patch antenna for dual-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 95-98, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.872429
11. Guterman, J., Y. Rahmat-Samii, A. A. Moreira, and C. Peixeiro, "Quasiomnidirectional dual-band back to-back E-shaped patch antenna for laptop applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 15, 367-370, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061799
12. Lau, K. L., K. C. Kong, and K. M. Luk, "Dual-band stacked folded shorted patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 15, 789-790, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20070878