In this paper, several configurations of a rotary magnetic refrigerator are proposed and investigated using three dimensional finite element method simulations. Their electromagnetic performance is analyzed considering the magnetic flux density, the forces and the torque. The rotor is a single permanent magnet while the stator is made of four refrigerant beds and a magnetic yoke. Multipole stators or rotors with 4, 6 and 8 refrigerant beds have been tested. The beds can be fitted or set at the inner surface of the yoke. The yoke can have smooth or salient poles. To minimize the magnetic torque, an original structure is proposed and tested. It is composed of two half-systems assembled with a 45o angle shift between rotors or stators. Because of the large amount of data, a suitable procedure to achieve an effective comparison between all configurations is established.
Houssem Rafik El Hana Bouchekara,
Jean Paul Yonnet,
"Electromagnetic Design of a Magnetic Field Source for a Magnetocaloric Refrigerator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 19, 251-263, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11062708
1. Tishin, A. M. and Y. I. Spichkin, Magnetocaloric Effects and Its Applications, 475, IOP Publishing, Bristol, 2003. doi:10.1887/0750309229
2. Gschneidner, Jr., K. A., V. K. Pecharsky, and A. O. Tsokol, "Recent developments in magnetocaloric materials," Rep. Prog. Phys., Vol. 68, 1479-1539, 2005. doi:10.1088/0034-4885/68/6/R04
3. Gschneidner, Jr., K. A. and V. K. Pecharsky, "Thirty years of near room temperature magnetic cooling: Where we are today and future prospects," Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 31, No. 6, 945-961, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2008.01.004
4. Nellis, G. F., J. L. Smith, and Jr., "An experimental GM/magnetic refrigerator," Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 43, 1998.
5. Zimm, C., A. Jastrab, A. Sternberg, V. K. Pecharsky, K. A. Gschneider, Jr., M. Osbore, and I. Anderson, "Description and performance of near-room temperature magnetic refrigerator," Adv. Cryog. Eng., Vol. 43, 1759-1766, 1998.
6. Clot, P., D. Viallet, F. Allab, A. Kedous-Lebouc, J. M. Fournier, and J. P. Yonnet, "A magnet based device for active magnetic regenerative refrigeration," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 39, No. 3, 3349-3351, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2003.816253
7. Kitanovski, A., P. W. Egolf, F. Gender, O. Sari, and C. H. Besson, "A rotary heat exchanger magnetic refrigerator," 1st International Conference on Magnetic Refrigeration at Room Temperature, 27-30, Montreux, Switzerland, 2005.
8. Kawanami, T., K. Chiba, K. Sakurai, and M. Ikegawa, "Optimization of magnetic refrigeration at room temperature for air cooling systems," Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 29, No. 8, 1294-1301, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2006.07.018
9. Okamura, T., K. Yamada, N. Hirano, and S. Nagaya, "Performance of a room temperature rotary magnetic refrigerator," Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 29, No. 6, 1327-1331, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2006.07.020
10. Zimm, C., A. Boerder, J. Chell, A. Sternberg, A. Fujita, S. Fujieda, and K. Fukamichi, "Design and performance of a permanent-magnet rotary refrigerator," Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 29, No. 6, 1302-1306, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2006.07.014
11. Muller, C., L. Bour, and C. Vasile, "Study of the effciency of a magnetothermal system according to the permeability of the magnetocaloric material around its curie temperature," Second International Conference on Magnetic Refrigeration at Room Temperature, 323, 339, Portoroz, Slovenia, 2007.
12. Lee, S. J., J. M. Kenkel, and D. C. Jiles, "Design of permanent magnet field source for rotary magnetic refrigeration systems," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 38, No. 2, 2991-2993, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2002.803193
13. Zimm, C., J. Auringer, A. Boeder, J. Chell, S. Russek, and A. Sternberg, "Design and initial performance of a magnetic refrigerator with a rotating permanent magnet," Second International Conference on Magnetic Refrigeration at Room Temperature, 341, 347, Portoroz, Slovenia, 2007.
14. Okamura, T., K. Yamada, N. Hirano, and S. Nagaya, "Improvement of 100W class room temperature magnetic refrigerator," Second International Conference on Magnetic Refrigeration at Room Temperature, 11-13, Portoroz, Slovenia, 2007.
15. Tura, A. and A. Rowe, "Design and testing of a permanent magnet refrigerator," Second International Conference on Magnetic Refrigeration at Room Temperature, 363-370, Portoroz, Slovenia, 2007.
16. Allab, F., "Conception et realisation d'un dispositif de refrigeration magnetique base sur l'effet magnetocalorique et dedie a la climatisation automobile,", These de Doctorat, Grenoble Institut National Polytechnique, 2008.
17. Zheng, Z. G., H. Y. Yu, X. C. Zhong, D. C. Zeng, and Z. W. Liu, "Design and performance study of the active magnetic refrigerator for room-temperature application," Int. J. Refrig., Vol. 32, No. 1, 78-86, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2008.06.004
18., Cedrat Electrical Engineering, Flux3D® Magnetostatics Tutorial, Version 10.1, 2007.
19. Bouchekara, H., "Recherche sur les systemes de refrigeration magnetique. Modelisation numerique, conception et optimisation,", These de Doctorat, Grenoble Institut National Polytechnique, 2008.
20. Dupuis, C., "Materiaux a effet magnetocalorique geant et systemes de refrigeration magnetique,", These de Doctorat, Grenoble, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, 2009.