The ground plane of wireless handheld devices plays a significant role in the electromagnetic behavior determining bandwidth, efficiency, and radiation patterns. Therefore, it is necessary to determine the frequency region where the ground plane can be better excited, especially for low frequencies where the performance of the radiating system is critical due to size limitations with respect to the operating wavelength. A fast method based on the radar cross section (RCS) is presented for computing the frequency at which the ground plane can be excited. The proposal is applied to three typical wireless platforms: a handset phone, a smartphone, and a clamshell phone. The method is compared with characteristic mode analysis and the results demonstrate a very good agreement in the resonant frequency prediction. Complex platforms using metallic strips and slots in the ground plane are analyzed using RCS which gives physical insight into the electromagnetic performance.
"Ground Plane Contribution in Wireless Handheld Devices Using Radar Cross Section Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 26, 101-114, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM12081704
1. Wu, T. Y. and K. L. Wong, "On the impedance bandwidth of a planar inverted-F antenna for mobile handsets," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett.,, Vol. 32, 249-251, Feb. 20, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10145
2. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. KivekÄas, I. Kelander, and , "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1433-1444, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.802085
3. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its e®ect on planar inverted-F antennas (PIFAs) for mobile phone handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 2003.
4. Hossa, R., A. Byndas, and M. E. Bialkowski, "Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 6, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.828007
5. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, A. Sanz, A. Condes, D. Gala, C. Puente, J. Soler, and , "Enhancing the performance of handset antennas by means of groundplane design," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials (iWAT), 29-32, New York, USA, Mar. 2006.
6. Anguera, J., A. Cabedo, C. Picher, I. Sanz, M. Ribo, C. Puente, "Multiband handset antennas by means of groundplane modification," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1253-1256, Honolulu, Hawaii,USA, Jun. 2007.
7. Cabedo, M., E. Antonino, A. Valero, and M. Ferrando, "The theory of characteristic modes revisited: A contribution to the design of antennas for modern applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 5, 52-68, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4395295
8. Cabedo, A., J. Anguera, C. Picher, M. Ribo, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining a PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2526-2533, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027039
9. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09030605
10. Razali, A. R. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Coplanar inverted-F with open-end ground slots for multiband operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1029-1032, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2031330
11. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbru, C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 348-356, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2038183
12. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Analysis of the human head interaction in handset antennas with slotted ground planes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 2, 36-56, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/MAP.2012.6230717
13. Anguera, J. and A. Condes, "Portable wireless device with fractal enhanced strip plane,", Patent Appl. WO 2007/039071, 2007.
14. Chang, C. H. and K. L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of internal WWAN antenna using an inductively coupled plate in the small-size mobile phone," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 52, 1247-1253, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25196
15. Anguera, J., , A. Andujar, and C. Puente, "A mechanism to electrically enlarge the ground plane of handset antennas: A bandwidth enhancement technique," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 7, 1512-1517, Jul. 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26027
16. Lindberg, P. and E. Ojefors, "A bandwidth enhancement technique for mobile handset antennas using wavetraps," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879211
17. Maoz, J. and M. Kadichevitz, "Apparatus and method for enhancing low-frequency operation of mobile communication antennas,", US Patent 6, 940, 460, 2005.
18. Harrington, R. F. and J. R. Mautz, "Theory of characteristic modes for conducting bodies," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 19, No. 5, 622-628, Sep. 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139999
19. Makarov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab, Wiley-Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, New York, Jul. 2002.
20. Jo, J.-H., B. Yu, K.-H. Kong, K. Jung, I.-Y. Lee, M.-J. Park, B. Lee, "Multi-band internal antenna including DVB-H band," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 972-975.
21. Anguera, J., A. Andujar, C. Puente, and J. Mumbru, "Antennaless wireless device,", Patent Appl. WO2010/015365,Jul. 31, 2009.
22. Anguera, J., A. Andujar, C. Puente, and J. Mumbru, "Antennaless wireless device capable of operation in multiple frequency regions,", Patent Appl. WO2010/015364, Jul. 31, 2009.
23. Andujar, A., J. Anguera, and C. Puente, "Ground plane boosters as a compact antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 1668-1677, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2122299
24. Jung, J. M., S. J. Kim, K. H. Kong, J. S. Lee, and B. Lee, "Designing ground plane to reduce hand effects on mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Jun. 2007.
25. Holopainen, J., J. Ilvonen, O. Kivekas, R. Valkonen, C. Icheln, and P. Vainikainen, "Near-field control of handset antennas based on inverted-top wavetraps: Focus on hearing-aid compatibility," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 592-595, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2022352