In this paper, an open cavity is proposed to measure the permittivity of dielectrics. The cavity consists of an ellipsoidal mirror and two planar mirrors. The relationship between the parameters of the beam in the open cavity and the cavity geometrical parameters is presented. The transcendental equation of dielectric loaded cavity is presented, from which the permittivity of the dielectric can be solved. The resonance frequencies of the vacuum cavity and loaded cavity are computed by the resonance frequency formula and the transcendental equation. they are compared to the results from FDTD simulation. The results from two methods are almost same with each other. The advantage of the proposed open cavity over the conventional open cavity composed of spherical mirror and planar mirror is demonstrated.
1. Goldsmith, P. F., Quasioptical Systems Gaussian Beam Quasiop-tical Propagation and Applications, IEEE Press, 1998. doi:10.1109/9780470546291
2. Dou, W., Millimeter Wave Quasioptical Theory and Techniques, High Education Press, Beijing, 2006.
3. Kotb, H. E., M. Y. Shalaby, and M. H. Ahmed, "Generation of nanosecond optical pulses with controlled repetition rate using incavity intensity modulated Brillouin erbium fiber laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 313-331, 2011.
4. Cullen, A. L. and P. K. Yu, "The accurate measurement of permittivity by means of an open resonator," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 325, 493-509, 1971. doi:10.1098/rspa.1971.0181
5. Xu, S. , L. Yang, L. Huang, and H. S. Chen, "Experimental measurement method to determine the permittivity of extra thin materials using resonant metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 327-337, 2011.
6. Yu, , P. K. and A. L. Cullen, "Measurement of permittivity by means of an open resonator: I. Theoretical," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 380, 49-71, 1982. doi:10.1098/rspa.1982.0029
7. Jones, R. G., "Precise dielectric measurements at 35 GHz using an open microwave resonator," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 123, 285-290, 1976. doi:10.1049/piee.1976.0067
8. Paez, E., M. A. Azpurua, C. Tremola, and R. C. Callarotti, "Uncertainty estimation in complex permittivity measurement by shielded dielectric resonator technique using the Monte Carlo method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 101-119, 2012.
9. Komiyama, B., M. Kiyokawa, and T. Matsui, "Open resonator for precision dielectric measurements in the 100 GHz band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 1792-1796, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.88556
10. Coquet, P. , T. Matsui, and M. Kiyokawa, "Measurements of low loss dielectric materials in the 60 GHz band using a high-Q Gaussian beam open resonator," IMTC' 94, 1265-1268, 1994.
11. Hirvonen, T. M., P. Vainikainen, A. Lozowski, and A. V. Raisanen, "Measurement of dielectrics at 100 GHz with an open resonator connected to a network analyzer," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 45, 780-786, 1996. doi:10.1109/19.516996
12. Zhou, Y., E. Li, G. Guo, Y. Gao, and T. Yang, "Broadband complex permittivity measurement of low loss materials over large temperature range by stripline resonator cavity using segmentation calculation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 143-160, 2011.
13. Afsar, M. N., H. Y. Ding, and K. Tourshan, "A new open-resonator technique at 60 GHz for permittivity and loss-tangent measurements of low-loss materials," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1755-1758, 1999.
14. Afsar, M. N. and H. Y. Ding, "A novel open-resonator system for precise measurement of permittivity and loss-tangent," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, No. 2, 402-405, 2001. doi:10.1109/19.918152
15. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, K. Yin, and P. G. Su, "Open resonator system for automatic and precise dielectric measurement at millimeter wavelengths," Int. J. Infrared Milli Waves, Vol. 29, No. 8, 782-791, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10762-008-9374-5
16. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, P. G. Su, and K. Yin, "Improvement of open resonator technique for dielectric measurement at millimeter wavelengths," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1036-1043, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0179
17. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, and K. Yin, "Open resonator technique of non-planar dielectric objects at millimeter wavelengths," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 9, 185-197, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09071804
18. Qian, C. and W. B. Dou, "A new approach for measuring permittivity of dielectric material," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 6, 795-810, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054069055
19. Deleniv, A. N. and S. Gevorgian, "Open resonator technique for measuring multilayered dielectric plates," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2908-2916, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854242
20. Zhang, H., B.-Q. Zeng, L. Ao, and Z. Zhang, "A novel dual-loop coupler for one-port cylindrical cavity permittivity measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 537-552, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12032613