Improved radio frequency interference suppression method based on short time Fourier transform applied to synthetic aperture radar is proposed in this paper. The radio frequency interference, including narrow-band interference and wide-band interference, are analyzed in time frequency domain. The interference is identified at instantaneous frequency spectrum by a novel threshold criterion in time frequency domain, and then an adaptive gain coefficient is determined for instantaneous frequency spectrum at every certain time. The gain coefficient can keep the useful signal correctly during interference suppression. In the end, the performance of the proposed method is demonstrated by the experiment based on the real synthetic aperture radar data adding the interference.
"The RFI Suppression Method Based on Stft Applied to SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 31, 171-188, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13050113
1. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110101
2. Zhou, W., J. T. Wang, H. W. Chen, and X. Li, "Signal model and moving target detection based on MIMO synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 311-329, 2012.
3. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11082201
4. Sabry, R., "A novel field scattering formulation for polarimetric synthetic aperture radar: 3D scattering and stokes vectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 129-150, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11121905
5. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. Abas, "Foreign object detection based on circular bistatic synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 134, 301-322, 2013.
6. Chan, , Y. K. and S. Y. Lim, "Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) signal generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 269-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102301
7. Zhou, , F., , R. Wu, M. Xing, and Z. Bao, "Eigensubspace-based filtering with application in narrow-band interference suppression for SAR," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 75-79, 2007. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2006.887033
8. Zhang, S., M. Xing, R. Guo, L. Zhang, and B. Zheng, "Interference suppression algorithm for SAR based on time-frequency transform," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 10, 3765-3779, 2011. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2164409
9. Chang, W., M. Cherniakov, X. Li, and J. Li, "Performance analysis of the notch filter for RF interference suppression in ultra-wideband SAR," Proc. ICSP, 2446-2451, 2008.
10. Dong, Z., D. Liang, and X. Huang, "A RFI suppression algorithm based on channel equalization for the VHF/UHF UWB SAR," ournal of Electronics & Information Technology, Vol. 30, No. 3, 550-553, 2008. doi:10.3724/SP.J.1146.2006.01173
11. Lord, R. T. and M. R. Inggs, "Approaches to RF interference suppression for VHF/UHF synthetic aperture radar," Proc. COMSIG, 95-100, 1998.
12. Yu, C., Y. Zhang, Z. Dong, and D. Liang, "SVD-based methods for radio frequency interference applied to SAR," Defence Science Journal, Vol. 62, No. 2, 132-136, 2012.
13. Huang, , N. E., Z. Shen, S. R. Long, M. C. Wu, H. H. Shih, and Q. Zheng, "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for non-linear and non-stationary time series analysis," Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, Math. Phys. Sci., Vol. 454, 903-995, 1998. doi:10.1098/rspa.1998.0193
14. Feng, Z., M. Xing, X. Bai, G. Sun, and Z. Bao, "Narrow-band interference suppression for SAR based on complex empirical mode decomposition," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 423-427, 2009. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2015340
15. Jin, F., H. Zheng, Y. Deng, and D. Gao, "Application of subband spectral cancellation for SAR narrow-band interference suppression," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 2, 190-193, 2012. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2011.2163150
16. Reigber, A. and L. Ferro-Famil, "Interference suppression in synthesized SAR images," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 1, 45-49, 2005. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2004.838419
17. Perez-Solano, J. J., S. Felici-Castell, and M. A. Rodriguez-Hernandez, "Narrowband interference suppression in frequency-hopping spread spectrum using undecimated wavelet packet transform," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 3, 1620-1629, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.909306
18. Huang, X. and D. Liang, " Gradual RELAX algorithm for RFI suppression in UWB-SAR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 22, 1916-1917, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19991347
19. Goodberlet, M. A. and I. Popstefanija, "RFI mitigation using two-scale estimators for statistical variance," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 4, 721-725, 2013. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2219849
20. Miller, T. , L. Potter, and J. McCorkle, "RFI suppression for ultra wideband radar," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 33, No. 4, 1142-1156, 1997. doi:10.1109/7.625096
21. Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB), Framing Structure, , Channel Coding and Modulation for Digital Terrestrial Television (DVB-T), ETSI Standard 300 744, 1997.
22. Ouyang, X. and M. G. Amin, "Short-time Fourier transform receiver for non-stationary interference excision in direct sequence spread spectrum communications," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 49, No. 4, 851-863, 2001. doi:10.1109/78.912929
23., "Mitigation technique to facilitate the use of the 1215-1300MHz band by the Earth exploration-satellite service (active) and the space research service (active),", Rec. ITU-R RS. 1749, 2006. doi:10.1109/78.912929
24. Yu, C., "Study on active interference suppression for synthetic aperture radar,", Ph.D Dissertation, Department of Electronics Science and Engineering, National University of Defense Technology, 2012.