Overhead power transmission line is influenced by the resistivity of earth return path. The topic is developed in literature by considering a homogeneous and isotropic earth, or verily the soil is more represented by several layers. The scope of this paper is to provide an equivalent homogeneous soil to the two layers stratified soil. The equivalent electromagnetic properties of the soil are calculated using an accurate minimization method. Numerical results presented in this paper, show the efficiency of the proposed model.
2. Sunde, E. D., Earth Conduction Effects in Transmission Systems, D. V. Nostrand Company, Inc., Princeton, NJ, 1948.
3. Iwamoto, K., "Use of travelling waves on the measurement of earth resistivity," J. Inst. Elec. Eng. Japan, Vol. 78, 1038-1049, 1958.
4. Wedepohl, L. M. and R. G. Wasley, "Wave propagation in multi-conductor overhead lines," Proc. IEE, Vol. 113, 627-632, 1966.
5. Nakagawa, N., A. Ametani, and K. Iwamoto, "Further studies on wave propagation in overhead lines with earth return: Impedance of stratified earth," Proc. IEE, Vol. 120, No. 12, 1521-1528, 1973.
6. Papadopoulos, T. A., G. K. Papagiannis, and D. P. Labridis, "A generalized model for the calculation of the impedances and admittances of overhead power lines above stratified earth," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 80, 1160-1170, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.epsr.2010.03.009
7. Ametani, A., "A general formulation of impedance and admittance of cables," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 99, No. 3, 902-910, 1980. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1980.319718
8. Sommerfeld, A., "Propagation of waves in wireless telegraphy," Ann. Phys. (Leipzig), Vol. 81, 1135-1153, 1926. doi:10.1002/andp.19263862516
9. Wait, J. R., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1987.
10. Amri, A. and A. Maaouni, "Evaluation numérique des intégrales de Sommerfeld du type Fourier dans le plan complexe," Ann. Telecommun., Vol. 51, No. 1-2, 4-10, 1996.
11. Bridges, G. E. and L. Shafai, "Plane wave coupling to multiconductor transmission lines above a lossy earth," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 31, 21-33, 1989.
13. Maaouni, A., A. Amri, and A. Zouhir, "Simple and accurate analytical expressions for evaluating related transmission line integrals," J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., Vol. 34, 9027-9035, 2001. doi:10.1088/0305-4470/34/42/319
14. Davis, P. J. and P. Rabinowitz, Methods of Numerical Integration, Academic Press Inc., 1984.