In this paper, we investigate the diffraction of complex structures applying a new hybridization between generalized PO (Physical Optic) and MoM-GEC method. The proposed approach is developed to speed up convergence, alleviate calculation and then provide a considerable gain in requirements (processing time and memory storage) because it is based on a single test function instead of numerous sinusoidal or polynomial ones. Based on this approach, each metallic pattern is modeled by a current trial function that consists of two parts. The first part is called modal current, and it is decomposed on Hankel functions for modeling metal edges. However, the second part concerns the middle of metallic patterns, and it is modeled by PO method and called generalized PO current. Based on this approach, we study the diffraction of unidimensional structures, then we generalize our approach to take bidimensional ones. For validation purpose, we investigate 1D and 2D reflectarrays to prove the new approach's benefits. The obtained results show good accuracy with the method of moments. Moreover, we prove the considerable improvements in CPU time and memory storage achieved by the hybrid approach when studying these structures.
"Hybridization of Generalized PO and MoM
-GEC Method for Electromagnetic Study of Complex Structures: Application to Reflectarrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 45, 35-49, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15092203
2. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. Broas, N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
3. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2403-2414, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.886302
4. Sarabandi, K., M. Buerkle Amelia, and H. Mosallaei, "Compact wideband UHF patch antenna on a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 503-506, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIERB10110105
5. Mili, S., C. Larbi Aguili, and T. Aguili, "Study of fractal-shaped structures with PIN diodes using the multi scale method combined to the generalized equivalent circuit modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 213-233, 2011.
6. Mili, S. and T. Aguili, "Electromagnetic study of planar pre-fractal structures using the scale changing technique," 2010 18th International Conference IEEE Microwave Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), Vilnius, Lithuania, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB09060504
7. Aubert, H., "The concept of scale-changing network in the global electromagnetic simulation of complex structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 127-154, 2009.
8. Hajji, M. and T. Aguili, "Contribution of active modes in the formulation of new multi scale approach based on modal operators Γ and Zs," Conference on Electromagnetic Field Computation: CEFC, Annecy, May 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2015.1042072
9. Hajji, M., B. Hamdi, and T. Aguili, "A new formulation of mulitscale method based on modal integral operators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, No. 10, 1257-1280, 2015.
10. Bouche, D. and F. Molinet, Methodes Asymptotiques en Electromagnetisme [Asymptotic Methods in Electromagnetism], Vol. 16 of Mathematic and Applications, Springer-Verlag, 1994. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856358
11. Skarlatos, A., R. Schuhmann, and T. Weiland, "Solution of radiation and scattering problems in complex environments using a hybrid ¯nite integration techniques uniform theory of diffraction approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3347-3575, Oct. 200.
12. Molinet, F., I. Andronov, and D. Bouche, Asymptotic and Hybrid Methods in Electromagnetics, IET, Vol. 51 of Electromagnetic Waves Series, 2nd Ed., 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB14101303
13. Hajji, M., S. Mendil, and T. Aguili, "A new hybrid MoM-GEC asymptotic method for electromagnetic scattering computation in waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 61, 197-210, 2014.
14. Sen, S. G. and M. Kuzuoglu, "Analysis of high frequency plane wave scattering from a double negative cylinder via the modified Watson transformation and Debye expansion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 55-92, 2008.
15. Li, C. Y. and D. Lesselier, "On a preliminary analysis of the electromagnetic small-scale modeling of composite panels: Periodic arrangement of circular cylindrical fibers," Journees Scientifiques URSI-France, 26-27, Ursi, France, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1163/156939397X01151
16. Yousif, H. A. and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Oblique incidence scattering from two eccentric cylinders," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, 1273-1288, 1997.
17. Aguili, T., "Modelisation des composants S. H. F planaires par la methode des circuits equivalents generalises,", Ph.D. Thesis, National Engineering School of Tunis ENIT, May 2000.
18. Baudrand, H., "Representation by equivalent circuit of the integral methods in microwave passive elements," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, 1359-1364, Budapest, Hungary, Sep. 10-13, 1990.
19. Aubert, H. and H. Baudrand, Electromagnetism by Equivalent Circuits, Editions Cepadues, 2003. doi:10.1002/jnm.430
20. Baudrand, H. and D. Bajon, "Equivalent circuit representation for integral formulations of electromagnetic problems," International Journal of Numerical Modelling-Electronic Networks Devices and Fields, Vol. 15, 23-57, Jan. 2002.
21. Hajji, M. and T. Aguili, "Studying of surface impedance behavior of RIS against incidence and polarization for miniaturized antenna," 10th International Conference IEEE Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 538-542, Loughborough, UK, 2014.
22. Bouche, D. and F. Molinet, Methodes Asymptotiques en Electromagnetisme, Vol. 16 of Mathematic and Applications, Springer-Verlag, 1994. doi:10.2528/PIER07082903
23. Zhao, Y., X.-W. Shi, and L. Xu, "Modeling with NURBS surfaces used for the calculation of RCS," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 78, 49-59, 2008.