The microwave scattering characteristics of a metamaterial (MTM) sphere and an MTM coated conducting sphere is compared to that of its DPS (Real (ε) > 0, Real (μ) > 0) counterpart in the presence of an infinite conducting plane using the multipole expansion method and is presented in this article. The DPS medium may be an artificial dielectric or natural dielectric. The differential scattering cross sections and the differential backscattering cross sections of the different types of spheres are presented for a circularly polarized (left or right) beam incident normally on the sphere. The results presented may be useful for maritime applications.
Tenneti C. K. Rao,
"Microwave Scattering from Metamaterial Based Spheres in the Presence of a Conducting Plane: Normal Incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 46, 57-68, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15112206
1. Johnson, B. R., "Light scattering from a spherical particle on a conducting plane: I. Normal incidence," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1341-1351, Aug. 1992. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.9.001341
2. Petrillo, L., F. Jangal, M. Darces, J.-L. Montmagnon, and M. Helier, "Surface wave enhancement using HF metamaterials," PIERS Proceedings, 586-588, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
3. Zhao, X.-W., C.-H. Liang, and L. Liang, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for radiation characteristics of shipborne antennas above seawater," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 291-302, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08012003
5. Ruppin, R., "Extinction properties of a sphere with negative permittivity and permeability," Solid State Comm., Vol. 116, No. 8, 411-415, 2000. doi:10.1016/S0038-1098(00)00362-8
6. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of MLS, GA & CG for the Reduction of RCS of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07120803
7. Richmond, J. H., "Scattering by a Ferrite-coated conducting sphere," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 35, No. 1, 73-79, Jan. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1143972