The performance of a Concentric Circular Antenna Array (CCAA) with robust techniques is presented in this paper. A CCAA geometry is chosen because of its symmetrical configuration which enables the phased array antenna to scan azimuthally with minimal changes in its beam width and side-lobe levels. The performance of CCAA system is degraded, if there is any disparity occur between the original signal direction and the steering direction of the beamformer. This performance degradation problem due to look direction disparity can be improved by using robust techniques. This paper proposes a technique, named variable diagonal loading (VDL) technique for CCAA system and compare the performance of the proposed robust CCAA processor with existing CCAA processors. The proposed robust CCAA beamformer enhanced the output power 28.9 dB, 9.34 dB and 1.63 dB at 10 disparity angle compared to the CCAA standard capon beamformer (SCB), robust SCB and existing novel loading technique. Numerical examples are presented to analyze the performance of the proposed robust beamformer in different scenarios.
1. Tohme, N., J. M. Paillot, D. Cordeau, S. Cauet, Y. Mahe, and P. Ribardiere, "A 2.4 GHz 1-dimensional array antenna driven by vector modulators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 803-805, 2008.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA, 2005.
4. Hossain, M. S., M. F. Reza, M. M. Rashid, and M. F. Ali, "Performance analysis of broadband concentric circular antenna array processor," 2016 5th International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), 1047-1051, Dhaka, 2016. doi:10.1109/ICIEV.2016.7760158
5. Ram, G., D. Mandal, R. Kar, and S. P. Ghoshal, "Cat swarm optimization as applied to time-modulated concentric circular antenna array: Analysis and comparison with other stochastic optimization methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 9, 4180-4183, Sept. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2444439
6. Zhao, X., Q. Yang, and Y. Zhang, "Application of TLBO to synthesis of sparse concentric ring arrays," 2016 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, Davos, 2016.
7. Nofal, M., S. Aljahdali, and Y. Albagory, "Tapered beamforming for concentric ring arrays," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, No. 1, 58-63, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2012.06.005
8. Haupt, R. L., "Optimized element spacing for low sidelobe concentric ring arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 266-268, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.913176
9. Zhao, X., Q. Yang, and Y. Zhang, "A hybrid method for the optimal synthesis of 3-D patterns of sparse concentric ring arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 2, 515-524, Feb. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2504377
10. Yuri, N. and P. Ilia, "Probability of false peaks occurring via circular and concentric antenna arrays DOA estimation," 2016 39th International Conference on Telecommunications and Signal Processing (TSP), 178-181, Vienna, Austria, 2016. doi:10.1109/TSP.2016.7760854
11. Goossens, R. and H. Rogier, "Direction-of-arrival and polarization estimation with uniform circular arrays in the presence of mutual coupling," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 62, No. 3, 199-206, Mar. 3, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2007.03.018
12. Hossain, M. S., L. C. Godara, and M. R. Islam, "Efficient robust broadband beamforming algorithms using variable loading," IEEE Latin America Transactions, Vol. 10, 1697-1702, 2012. doi:10.1109/TLA.2012.6222573
13. Hossain, M. S., G. N. Milford, M. C. Reed, and L. C. Godara, "Efficient robust broadband antenna array processor in the presence of look direction errors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 718-727, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2225014
14. Gu, Y., N. A. Goodman, S. Hong, and Y. Li, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on interference covariance matrix sparse reconstruction," Signal Processing, Vol. 96, 375-381, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2013.10.009
15. Shen, F., F. Chen, and J. Song, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on steering vector estimation and covariance matrix reconstruction," IEEE Communication Letter, Vol. 19, 1636-1639, Sept. 2015. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2015.2455503
16. Gu, Y. and A. Leshem, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on interference covariance matrix reconstruction and steering vector estimation," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 60, 3881-3885, Jul. 2012.
17. Askari, M., M. Karimi, and Z. Atbaee, "Robust beamforming in circular arrays using phase-mode transformation," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 7, No. 8, 693-703, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-spr.2012.0236
18. Kulaib, A. R., R. M. Shubair, M. Al-Qutayri, and J. Ng, "Accurate and robust DOA estimation using uniform circular displaced antenna array," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1552-1553, 2015.
19. Vorobyov, S. A., A. B. Gershman, and Z. Luo, "Robust adaptive beamforming using worst-case performance optimization: A solution to the signal mismatch problem," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 2, 313-324, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.806865
20. Yuan, X. L., L. Gan, and H. S. Liao, "A robust interference covariance matrix reconstruction algorithm against arbitrary interference steering vector mismatch," IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, Vol. 98A, No. 7, 1553-1557, Jul. 2015.
21. Besson, O., A. A. Monakov, and C. Chalus, "Signal waveform estimation in the presence of uncertainties about the steering vector," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2432-2440, Sept. 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.831917
22. Li, J., P. Stoica, and Z. Wang, "On robust capon beamforming and diagonal loading," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1702-1715, Jul. 2003.
23. Wang, W., R. Wu, and J. Liang, "A novel diagonal loading method for robust adaptive beamformer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 245-255, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC10091803
24. Gan, L. and Z. Yi, "Automatic computation of diagonal loading factor for robust adaptive beamforming based on Gaussian distribution," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, No. 7, 570-573, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2012.12.005
25. Chen, H., Q. Wan, X. Zhang, and R. Fan, "Robust beamforming with inter-atom-interference mitigation approach for uniform circular arrays," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 1, 236-241, Jan. 2015. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2014.09.005
26. Reza, M. F., M. S. Hossain, and M. M. Rashid, "Robust uniform concentric circular array beamforming in the existence of look direction disparity," 2nd International Conference on Electrical, Computer & Telecommunication Engineering (ICECTE), 1-4, Rajshahi-6204, Bangladesh, Dec. 8-10, 2016.
27. Liu, C., Y. Liu, Y. Zhao, and D. Hu, "Robust adaptive wideband beamforming using probability-constrained optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 163-172, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14062306
28. Fernandez-Olvera, A. D. J., D. Melazzi, and V. Lancellotti, "Beam-forming and beam-steering capabilities of a recongurable plasma antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 65, 11-22, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16031506
29. Caorsi, S., F. De Natale, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "A versatile enhanced genetic algorithm for planar array design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1533-1548, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042954893
30. Massa, A., M. Donelli, F. De Natale, S. Caorsi, and A. Lommi, "Planar antenna array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2919-2924, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.837523
31. Massa, A., M. Donelli, F. Viani, and P. Rocca, "An innovative multiresolution approach for DOA estimation based on a support vector classification," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2279-2292, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024485
32. Donelli, M., "Design of broadband metal nanosphere antenna arrays with a hybrid evolutionary algorithm," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 401-403, Feb. 15, 2013. doi:10.1364/OL.38.000401
33. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive recongurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12012304