The design of hexadecagon circular patch (HDCP) antenna for dual band operation is presented In this paper. The proposed antenna operates at two resonating frequencies 13.67 GHz, 15.28 GHz with return loss of -42.18 dB, -38.39 dB, and gain 8.01 dBi, 6.01 dBi respectively. An impedance bandwidth of 854 MHz (13.179-14.033 GHz) and 1140 MHz (14.584-15.724 GHz) is observed for dual-bands respectively. To produce the circular polarization, the HDCP antenna is incorporated with ring and square slots on the radiating patch. The defected ground structure (DGS) is considered for enhancement of gain. The proposed antenna, axial ratio is less than 3 dB and VSWR ≤ 2 for dual bands. The measured and simulated (HFSS, CST) results of of the HDCP antenna are in agreement. The HDCP antenna has work at Ku band for satellite communications.
1. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2001.
2. Shen, J., C. Lu, W. Cao, J. Yang, and M. Li, "A novel bidirectional antenna with broadband circularly polarized radiation in X-band," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 7-10, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2295151
3. Abdelaal, M. A. and H. H. M. Ghouz, "New compact circular ring microstrip patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 46, 135-143, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC13121602
4. Chen, H. T., H. D. Chen, and Y. T. Cheng, "Full-wave analysis of the annular-ring loaded spherical-circular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, 1581-1583, Nov. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650068
5. Shaalan, A. A. M. and M. I. Ramadan, "Design of a compact hexagonal monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application," J. Infraed Milli. Terahz. Waves, Vol. 31, 958-968, 2010.
6. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of microstrip square ring slot antenna filled by an H-shaped slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07012002
7. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with multiple notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08072801
8. Manzini, M., A. Alù, F. Bilotti, and L. Vegni, "Polygonal patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 53, 1434-1440, 2004. doi:10.1109/TVT.2004.832388
9. Maddi, S., A. Cidronali, and G. Manes, "A new design method for single-feed circular polarization microstrip antenna with an arbitrary impedance matching condition," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 379-389, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096177
10. Prakash, K. C., S. Mathew, R. Anitha, P. V. Vinesh, M. P. Jayakrishnan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Circularly polarized dodecagonal patch antenna with polygonal slot for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 9-15, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15110301
11. Chaiang, K. H. and K. W. Tam, "Microstrip monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth using defected ground structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 532-535, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2005592
12. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 151-154, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2244055
13. Lang, Y., S. W. Qu, and J. X. Chen, "Wideband circularly polarized substrate integrated cavity-backed antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1513-1516, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2342793
14. Singh, R. K. and D. Pujara, "Design of an UWB (2.1-38.6 GHz) circular microstrip antenna," Wiley - Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 2762-2767, DOI: 10.1002/mop.30813, Apr. 2017.
15. Samsuzzaman, M. and M. T. Islam, "A semicircular shaped super wideband patch antenna with high bandwidth dimension ratio," Wiley - Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, 445-452, Feb. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28872
16. Kushwaha, N. and R. Kumar, "Design of slotted ground hexagonal microstrip patch antenna and gain improvement with FSS screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 51, 177-199, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13031604
17. Lim, K.-S., M. Nagalingam, and C.-P. Ta, "Design and construction of microstrip UWB antenna with time domain analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 153-164, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08051903