In this study, a new slot embedded microstrip antenna for dual-band dual-polarization operation is proposed. The antenna comprises a single layer structure with a square radiating patch where the feed port is located along a diagonal line of the patch. Two narrow slots parallel and close to the radiating edges of the patch are loaded on the patch. Patch without slots is resonated for X-band and another resonant frequency at Ku-band is obtained by loading the slots. Moreover, the loading of slots helps to produce two orthogonal modes of equal amplitudes at X-band. Furthermore, the feed port along the diagonal line of the square patch makes it possible to radiate dierent polarization at the two bands. The antenna can radiate circular and linear polarization at X- and Ku-band, respectively. Current distributions of the antenna at both bands are observed to explain the behavior of the antenna and conrm the polarization characteristics at X- and Ku-band. A 3-dB axial ratio bandwidth of 1.35% is achieved. Measured gains of 6.60 dBic and 5.80 dBi with good radiation performances are achieved at X- and Ku-band, respectively. Moreover, good measured cross-polarization levels of 27.6 dB at X-band and 15.6 dB at Ku-band are obtained. The measured performances of the fabricated antenna are consistent with simulated results.
1. Maci, S., G. B. Gentili, P. Piazzesi, and C. Salvador, "Dual-band slot-loaded patch antenna," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 142, No. 3, 225-232, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19951932
2. Maci, S., G. B. Gentili, and G. Avitabile, "Single-layer dual frequency patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 16, 1441-1443, 1993. doi:10.1049/el:19930965
7. Avitabile, G., S. Maci, F. Bonifacio, and C. Salvador, "Dual band circularly polarized patch antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp. and URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 290-293, Seattle, WA, USA, 1994.
9. Kuhestani, H., M. Rahimi, Z. Mansuri, F. B. Zarrabi, and R. Ahmadian, "Design of compact patch antenna based on metamaterial for WiMAX applications with circular polarization," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 2, 357-360, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28846
10. Qin, P. Y., Y. J. Guo, and C. Ding, "A dual-band polarization reconfigurable antenna for WLAN systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 11, 5706-5713, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2279219
11. Chen, J., K. F. Tong, A. Al-Armaghany, and J. Wang, "A dual-band dual-polarization slot patch antenna for GPS andWi-Fi applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 406-409, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2448536
12. Wang, Q., Z. H. Shao, Y. J. Cheng, and P. K. Li, "Ka/W dual-band reflectarray antenna for dual linear polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1301-1304, 2016.
13. Hsu, C. W., M. H. Shih, and C. J. Wang, "A triple-strip monopole antenna with dual-band circular polarization," Proc. 2016 IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conf. Antennas Propag. (APCAP), 137-138, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, 2016.
14. Wu, C., C. Lu, J. Shen, and Z. Ye, "A CPW-fed slot antenna with dual band and dual circular polarization," Proc. 2016 Int. Symp. Antennas Propag. (ISAP), 810-811, Okinawa, Japan, 2016.