A wideband circularly polarized magnetoelectric dipole antenna fed by a Γ-shaped structure is investigated. In the design, a pair of vertical plates connected to ground work as a magnetic dipole, while a pair of rotationally symmetric horizontal plates with strips bent downward work as an electric dipole. And four metallic plates are vertically added on edges of the ground, forming a cavity reflector with four gaps to improve the axial ratio (AR) bandwidth. Measurements show that the antenna has a wide impedance bandwidth of 102% from 1.35 GHz to 4.2 GHz for voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) ≤ 2 and a 3-dB AR bandwidth of 79.7% from 1.6 GHz to 3.72 GHz, over which the antenna gain varies from 5.4 dBic to 10.6 dBic. Furthermore, the antenna exhibits right-hand circular polarization and has good unidirectional radiation characteristic. The proposed antenna can be applied to wideband wireless applications.
1. Luk, K.-M. and H. Wong, "A new wideband unidirectional antenna element," Int. J. Microw. Opt. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-12, 2006.
2. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "A low-profile magneto-electric dipole antenna," IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics; Applications and Student Innovation (iWEM), Vol. 60, No. 4, 1684-1689, 2012.
3. Li, M. J., K. M. Luk, L. Ge, and K. Zhang, "Miniaturization of magnetoelectric dipole antenna by using metamaterial loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4914-4918, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2599176
4. Liao, S. W., Q. Xue, and J. H. Xu, "A differentially fed magneto-electric dipole antenna with a simple structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 5, 74-84, 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6735476
5. Cui, X. W., F. Yang, M. Gao, L. J. Zhou, Z. P. Liang, and F. Yan, "A wideband magnetoelectric dipole antenna with microstrip line aperture-coupled excitation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 12, 7350-7354, 2017.
6. Ta, S. X. and I. Park, "Crossed dipole loaded with magneto-electric dipole for wideband and wide-beam circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 358-361, 2016.
7. Li, M. J. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband circularly polarized antenna for microwave and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, 1872-1879, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2298246
8. Liang, W.-L., Y.-C. Jiao, L. Zhang, and T. Ni, "Wideband single-feed circularly polarized antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 54, 93-99, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERL15052005
9. Kang, K. and C.-H. Liang, "A wideband circularly polarized magnetoelectric dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1647-1650, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2660521
10. Tao, J. and Q.-Y. Feng, "Dual-band magnetoelectric dipole antenna with dual-sense circularly polarized character," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 11, 5677-5685, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2748282