This paper proposes a new two-stage channel estimation (TSCE) method to estimate the cascaded channels in amplify-and-forward (AF) one-way relay network (OWRN) with multiple transmit and receive antennas. Different from the existing estimation methods, the proposed TSCE estimates the cascaded channel matrix by utilizing the special structure of the received signal in the destination and by exploiting the correlations among the cascaded channel matrix entries. The TSCE not only obtains the channel state information (CSI) when receiving training sequences, but also improves the accuracy of CSI when receiving the data sequences. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed TSCE can improve estimation accuracy compared with traditional channel estimation schemes.
"Two-Stage Channel Estimation Assisted by Correlation Exploitation for Amplify and Forward Relay Networks with Multiple Transmit and Receive Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 75, 13-20, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18080301
1. Wang, B., J. Zhang, and A. Host-Madsen, "On the capacity of MIMO relay channels," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 51, No. 1, 29-43, 2005. doi:10.1109/TIT.2004.839487
2. He, Z., J. Yang, X. Wang, Y. Liu, and Y. Rong, "Channel estimation of MIMO relay systems with multiple relay nodes," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 27649-27658, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2775202
3. Wen, Z., X. Liu, S. Zheng, and W. Guo, "Joint source and relay design for MIMO two-way relay networks with SWIPT," IEEE Trans. Vehic. Technol., Vol. 67, No. 1, 822-826, 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2017.2727061
4. Mietzner, J., R. Schober, L. Lampe, W. H. Gerstacker, and P. A. Hoeher, "Multiple-antenna techniques for wireless communications-a comprehensive literature survey," IEEE Commu. Surveys Tuts., Vol. 11, No. 2, 87-105, 2009. doi:10.1109/SURV.2009.090207
5. Soldani, D. and S. Dixit, "Wireless relays for broadband access [radio communications series]," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 46, No. 3, 58-66, 2008. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2008.4463772
6. Li, B. and Y. Rong, "AF MIMO relay systems with wireless powered relay node and direct link," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1508-1519, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2017.2788006
7. Gui, G., A. Mehbodniya, and F. Adachi, "Sparse channel estimation for MIMO-OFDM amplifyand- forward two-way relay networks," Proc. IEEE 78th Vehic. Technol. Conf., 1-5, 2013.
8. Fang, Z. X., "Least square channel estimation for two-way relay MIMO OFDM systems," ETRI Journal, Vol. 33, No. 5, 806-809, 2011. doi:10.4218/etrij.11.0210.0424
9. Chiong, C. W. R., Y. Rong, and Y. Xiang, "Channel estimation for time-varying MIMO relay systems," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 14, No. 12, 6752-6762, 2015. doi:10.1109/TWC.2015.2459700
10. Gao, F., T. Cui, and A. Nallanathan, "On channel estimation and optimal training design for amplify and forward relay networks," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 7, No. 5, 1907-1916, 2008. doi:10.1109/TWC.2008.070118
11. Ma, J., P. Orlik, J. Zhang, and G. Y. Li, "Pilot matrix design for estimating cascaded channels in two-hop MIMO amplify-and-forward relay systems," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 10, No. 6, 1956-1965, 2011. doi:10.1109/TWC.2011.041311.101477
12. Senol, H., X. Li, and C. Tepedelenlioglu, "Rapidly time-varying channel estimation for full-duplex amplify-and-forward one-way relay networks," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 66, No. 11, 3056-3069, 2018. doi:10.1109/TSP.2018.2824254
13. Lioliou, P. and M. Viberg, "Least-squares based channel estimation for MIMO relays," Proc. International ITG Workshop on Smart Antennas, 90-95, 2008.
14. Jing, Y. and X. Yu, "ML-based channel estimations for non-regenerative relay networks with multiple transmit and receive antennas," IEEE Journ. Sel. Area. Commun., Vol. 30, No. 8, 1428-1439, 2012. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2012.120912
15. Patel, C. S., G. L. Stuber, and T. G. Pratt, "Statistical properties of amplify and forward relay fading channels," IEEE Trans. Vehic. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 1, 1-9, 2006. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.861170
16. Patel, C. S. and G. L. Stuber, "Channel estimation for amplify and forward relay based cooperation diversity systems," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 6, No. 6, 2348-2356, 2007. doi:10.1109/TWC.2007.05875