In this paper a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) quasi-elliptic filter with a controllable bandwidth is proposed. The quasi-elliptic filter response is caused by the cross coupling technique and a dual-mode resonance cavity. The dual-mode resonance cavity with TE101 and TE102 modes is used to generate the passband, and the cross coupling provides two signal transmission paths to produce transmission zeros (TZs). The bandwidth of the filter can be controlled by a pair of disturbing metallic via-holes. A quasi-elliptic filter with the center frequency of 11.03 GHz is designed, fabricated and measured. The experiment data agree well with the simulated ones.
1. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, 2002. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
2. Chen, X. P. and K. Wu, "Self-packaged millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide filter with asymmetric frequency response," IEEE Transactions on Components Packaging & Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 5, 775-782, 2012. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2187897
3. Gong, K., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, P. Chen, and C. J. You, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filters with controllable electric and magnetic mixed coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3071-3078, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2209437
4. You, C. J., Z. N. Chen, X. W. Zhu, and K. Gong, "Single-layered SIW post-loaded electric coupling-enhanced structure and its filter applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 1, 125-130, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2228667
5. Zhang, D., P. Zhou, Z. Yu, and J. Zhou, "Ka-band quadruple SIW filter with controllable transmission zeros," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 296-298, 2016.
6. Liu, Z., G. Xiao, and L. Zhu, "Triple-mode bandpass filters on CSRR-loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavities," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 7, 1099-1105, 2016. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2016.2574562
7. Rezaee, M. and A. R. Attari, "Realisation of new single-layer triple-mode substrate integrated waveguide and dual-mode half-mode substrate-integrated waveguide filters using a circular shape perturbation," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 14, 1120-1127, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0181
8. Zhu, X. C., et al., "Design and implementation of a triple-mode planar filter," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 5, 243-245, 2013. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2253313
9. Thomas, J. B., "Cross-coupling in coaxial cavity filters - A tutorial overview," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1368-1376, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809180
10. Wong, S. W., R. S. Chen, J. Y. Lin, L. Zhu, and Q. X. Chu, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter using slot-coupled and microstrip-line cross-coupled structures," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 12, 1881-1888, 2016.
11. Chen, X. P. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide cross-coupled filter with negative coupling structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 142-149, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912222
12. Li, M., C. Chen, and W. Chen, "Miniaturized dual-band filter using dual-capacitively loaded SIW cavities," IEEE Microwave & Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 4, 344-346, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2678435