A low-profile circularly polarized (CP) antenna for a handheld Ultra-High Frequency Radio Frequency Identification (UHF RFID) reader is proposed in this paper. The radiating part on the top substrate is composed of three inverted-F elements rotated 120˚ around the center of the structure. A power splitting circuit, placed on the bottom substrate, based on a series transmission line feed delivers equal amplitude to the three IFA with a sequential 120˚ phase shift. Both layers are fabricated on low-cost FR4 material. This design has a disk form factor with a compact size of 35 mm circle radius and an 8.6 mm height. The measurement shows good results with S11 as lower than -10 dB for the whole band, 3 dB-axial ratio around 110˚ (10 MHz of bandwidth), directivity reaching 4.4 dBic, and the total gain of the antenna is 1.9 dBic. In order to validate the proposed antenna performance, a UHF RFID handheld reader is built based on the ThingMagic M6E-Nano module. Different scenarios are investigated to validate the proposed antenna performance in a real environment.
1. Murofushi, R. and J. Tavares, "Towards fourth industrial revolution impact: Smart product based on RFID technology," IEEE Instrum. Meas. Mag., Vol. 20, No. 2, 51-56, 2017. doi:10.1109/MIM.2017.7919135
2. Lau, P. Y., Q. Chu, and Y. Wu, "Review on UHF RFID antennas," 2017 International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition, 53-55, London, 2017.
3. Xiao, G., et al., "Printed UHF RFID reader antennas for potential retail applications," IEEE Journal of Radio Frequency Identification, Vol. 2, No. 1, 31-37, Mar. 2018. doi:10.1109/JRFID.2018.2823640
4. Farhat, H., P. Iliev, P. Marriage, and N. Rolland, "An added value alternative to RAIN RFID items characterization in retail," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 32430-32439, 2018. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2844739
5. Hall, P. S., J. S. Dahele, and J. R. James, "Eesign principles of sequentially fed, wide bandwidth, circularly polarised microstrip antennas," IEE Proceedings H — Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 136, No. 5, 381-389, Oct. 1989. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1989.0069
6. Bolster, M. F., "A new type of circular polarizer using crossed dipoles," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 9, No. 5, 385-388, Sep. 1961. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1961.1125358
7. Bang, J., C. Bat-Ochir, H. Koh, E. Cha, and B. Ahn, "A small and lightweight antenna for handheld RFID reader applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1076-1079, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2217311
8. Colella, R., L. Catarinucci, A. Michel, and P. Nepa, "Design of a 3D-printed circularly polarized antenna for portable UHF RFID readers," 2017 IEEE International Conference on RFID Technology and Application (RFID-TA), 225-228, Warsaw, 2017. doi:10.1109/RFID-TA.2017.8098899
9. Caso, R., A. Michel, M. Rodriguez-Pino, and P. Nepa, "Dual-band UHF-RFID/WLAN circularly polarized antenna for portable RFID readers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2822-2826, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2303971
10. Lin, Y., Y. Wang, H. Chen, and Z. Yang, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1221-1227, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180319
11. Ferrero, F., L. H. Trinh, T. Telkamp, and R. Spurett, "Low cost compact terrestrial antenna for space LPWAN communication," 40th ESA Antenna Workshop Antenna Developments for Terrestrial and Small-Space Platforms (ESA-ESTEC 2019), Noordwijk, Netherlands, ESA, Oct. 2019.
12. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, T.-L. Zhang, and X.-Q. Yang, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using a compact sequential-phase feeding network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 173-179, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14011610
13. Chen, X., L. Yang, J. Zhao, and G. Fu, "High-efficiency compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for airborne communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1518-1521, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2517068
14. Inserra, D., W. Hu, and G.Wen, "Design of a microstrip series power divider for sequentially rotated nonuniform antenna array," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/9482979
15. Piroutiniya, A., M. H. Rasekhmanesh, and P. Mohammadi, "Wide-band circularly polarised antenna array using sequential phase feed structure and reinforced square radiating patch element," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 8, 1395-1399, Apr. 7, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.1075
16. Reddy Sura, P. and S. N. Reddy, "Broad band CP antenna array for X-band applications using sequential phase rotation technique," Optik, Vol. 203, 163547, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2019.163547
17. FEIG Electronic GmbH, "UHF antenna ID ISC.ANT.U250/250-EU/-FCC,", Nov. 4, 2011, [Online]. Accessed on: Mar. 4, 2020.