In this work, an elliptical planar monopole Penta band-notched ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna is proposed. Band rejection at 2.4-2.6 GHz IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, 3.3-3.75 Wi-MAX, 3.9-4.2 GHz C-band satellite communication, 5.15-5.85 WLAN, and 7.9-8.4 GHz X-band satellite communication frequencies is achieved by etching slots in the radiating patch, feed line, and ground plane. The effect of the slot length on the notched band is also studied. The proposed antenna has been fabricated and tested. The measured impedance bandwidth of the antenna is 2.15-12.5 GHz, which covers bands of Bluetooth and UWB applications. The peak gain of the proposed antenna is 8 dB and drops drastically at notched bands. The proposed antenna shows good omnidirectional radiation patterns in the passbands.
Devireddy Sreenivasa Rao,
"A Penta Band Notched Elliptical Planar Monopole Antenna for UWB Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 93, 53-66, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20042301
1., , The Federal Communications Commission. Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission Systems, The Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, USA, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.660976
2. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-5, Feb. 1998.
3. Atallah, H. A., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, K. Yoshitomi, and R. K. Pokharel, "CPW feed UWB filterantenna with sharp and high rejection multiple notched bands using stub loaded meander line resonator," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 22-31, 2017. doi:10.1049/el:20051090
4. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, Jul. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2109684
5. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1049/el:20063713
6. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, Mar. 16, 2006.
7. Kerkhoff, A. and H. Ling, "Design of a planar monopole antenna for use with ultra-wideband (UWB) having a band-notched characteristic," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 830-833, Columbus, OH, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0572
8. Weng, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Design of multiple band-notch using meander lines for compact ultrawide band antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 8, 908-914, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.874354
9. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 1453-1460, May 2006.
10. Chandrasekhar Rao, J., N. Venkateswara Rao, M. Jyothsna, M. Jyothirmayee, R. Akhil, and A. Manasa, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with band-notches at WIMAX and WLAN bands," JATIT, Vol. 95, No. 9, 2088-2095, May 15, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101701
11. Gong, X., L. Tong, Y. Tian, and B. Gao, "Design of a microstrip-fed hexagonal shape UWB antenna with triple notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 77-87, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC14061206
12. Jacob, S., A. O. Lindo, C. M. Nijas, C. K. Aanandan, and P. Mohanan, "Analysis of CPW-fed UWB antenna for WiMAX and WLAN band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 52, 83-92, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC13121909
13. Sharma, M. M., J. K. Deegwal, A. Kumar, and M. C. Govil, "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with quadruple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 29-36, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2327124
14. Siddiqui, J. Y., C. Saha, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Compact SRR loaded UWB circular monopole antenna with frequency notch characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4015-4020, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0063
15. Shaik, L. A., C. Saha, J. Y. Siddiqui, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Ultra-wideband monopole antenna for multiband and wideband frequency notch and narrowband applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 11, 1204-1211, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC14031710
16. Vyas, K., A. K. Sharma, and P. K. Singhal, "Design and analysis of two novel CPW-fed dual bandnotched UWB antennas with modified ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 159-170, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC15040703
17. Peng, H., Y. Luo, and Z.-X. Shi, "Triple band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna using triple-mode resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 117-125, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC16052304
18. Jaglan, N., B. K. Kanaujia, S. D. Gupta, and S. Srivastava, "Triple band notched UWB antenna design using electromagnetic band gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 139-147, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL18042605
19. Taha-Ahmed, B., E. M. Lasa, P. Sanchez Olivares, and J. L. Masa-Campos, "UWB antennas with multiple notched-band function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 41-49, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17050813
20. Elhabchi, M., M. N. Srifi, and R. Touahni, "A tri-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna using DGS and semi Arc-shaped slot for WiMAX/WLAN/X-band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 70, 7-14, 2017. doi:10.1007/s11277-014-2237-6
21. Haroon, S., K. S. Alimgeer, N. Khalid, B. Tariq, F. Shafique, and S. A. Khan, "A low profile UWB antenna with triple band suppression characteristics," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 82, No. 1, 495-507, 2015.
22. Koteswara Rao Devana, V. N. and A. Maheswara Rao, "Compact UWB monopole antenna with quadruple band notched characteristics," International Journal of Electronics, 2019, DOI: 10.1080/00207217.2019.1636311.