In this work we present near-field image transmission and error vector magnitude measurement in rich scattering environment in metal enclosure. We check the effect of loading metal enclosure on the performance of SDR based near-field communication link. We focus on the key communication receiver parameters to observe the effect of near-field link in presence of rich-scattering and in presence of loading with RF absorber cones. The near-field performance is measured by transmitting wideband OFDM-modulated packets containing image information. Our finding suggests that the performance of OFDM based wideband near-field communication improves when metal enclosure is loaded with RF absorbers. Near-field EVM improves when the enclosure is loaded with RF absorber cones. Loading of the metal enclosure has the effect of increased coherence bandwidth. Frequency selectivity was observed in an empty enclosure which suggests coherence bandwidth less than the signal bandwidth.
1. Shamim, M. S., N. Mansoor, R. S. Narde, V. Kothandapani, A. Ganguly, and J. Venkataraman, "A wireless interconnection framework for seamless inter and intra-chip communication in multichip systems," IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. 66, No. 3, 389-402, 2016. doi:10.1109/TC.2016.2605093
2. Chen, Z. M. and Y. P. Zhang, "Inter-chip wireless communication channel: Measurement, characterization, and modeling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 978-986, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891861
3. Lodro, M., C. Smart, G. Gradoni, A. Vukovic, D. Thomas, and S. Greedy, "Near-field ber and evm measurement at 5.8 GHz in mode-stirred metal enclosure," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 35, No. 9, 2020.
4. Kim, H.-J., H. Hirayama, S. Kim, K. J. Han, R. Zhang, and J.-W. Choi, "Review of near-field wireless power and communication for biomedical applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 21 264-21 285, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2757267
5. Sun, Z. and I. F. Akyildiz, "Magnetic induction communications for wireless underground sensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2426-2435, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048858
6. Kisseleff, S., I. F. Akyildiz, and W. H. Gerstacker, "Survey on advances in magnetic induction-based wireless underground sensor networks," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 5, No. 6, 4843-4856, 2018. doi:10.1109/JIOT.2018.2870289
7. Akyildiz, I. F., P. Wang, and Z. Sun, "Realizing underwater communication through magnetic induction," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 11, 42-48, 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7321970
8. Guo, H., Z. Sun, and P.Wang, "Multiple frequency band channel modeling and analysis for magnetic induction communication in practical underwater environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 66, No. 8, 6619-6632, 2017. doi:10.1109/TVT.2017.2664099
9. Kim, H.-J., J. Park, K.-S. Oh, J. P. Choi, J. E. Jang, and J.-W. Choi, "Near-field magnetic induction mimo communication using heterogeneous multipole loop antenna array for higher data rate transmission," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1952-1962, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2539371
10. Shin, H., M. Lee, C. Lee, and C. Park, "An RF transceiver for wireless chip-to-chip communication using a cross-coupled oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 165-175, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19020902
11. Fu, J., P. Juyal, and A. Zajić, "Modeling of 300 GHz chip-to-chip wireless channels in metal enclosures," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 19, No. 5, 3214-3227, 2020. doi:10.1109/TWC.2020.2971206
12. Timoneda, X., A. Cabellos-Aparicio, D. Manessis, E. Alarcón, and S. Abadal, "Channel characterization for chip-scale wireless communications within computing packages," 2018 Twelfth IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip (NOCS), 1-8, IEEE, 2018.
13. Fu, J., P. Juyal, and A. Zajić, "Thz channel characterization of chip-to-chip communication in desktop size metal enclosure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 12, 7550-7560, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2934908
14. Mikki, S., "Theory of nonsinusoidal small antennas for near-field communication system analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 86, 177-193, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERB19121104
15. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, C. Orlenius, and J. Carlsson, "Channel sounding of loaded reverberation chamber for over-the-air testing of wireless devices: Coherence bandwidth versus average mode bandwidth and delay spread," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 678-681, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2025149
16. Chen, X., P.-S. Kildal, and S.-H. Lai, "Estimation of average rician k-factor and average mode bandwidth in loaded reverberation chamber," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1437-1440, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2179910