A novel quad-band bandpass filter (BPF) consisting of two deformed W-shaped microstrip Stepped-Impedance Resonators (SIRs) with different dimensions is proposed. The W-shaped SIRs are miniaturized from E-shaped SIRs, and each one of the SIRs generates two passbands, and thus four passbands centered at 3.18 GHz, 4.51 GHz, 5.46 GHz, and 8.43 GHz with fractional bandwidth of 6.7%, 9.1%, 8.4%, and 8.2% were obtained. Compared with the basic SIR structures and E-shaped structures, the effective area of the miniaturized SIR is reduced by more than 60% and 20%, respectively. The operating frequency bands can be determined by switching the diodes that are connected to the cross coupling lines of the two SIRs. The improved design can be used for 5G and other applications.
1. Al-Yasir, Y., et al., "Design of multi-standard single/tri/quint-wideband asymmetric stepped-impedance resonator filters with adjustable TZs," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, No. 10, 1637-1645, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5863
2. Qiao, Z., X. Pan, F. Zhang, and J. Xu, "A tunable dual-band metamaterial filter based on the coupling between two crossed SRRs," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 13, 99, 2021.
3. Li, Z., L. Wang, M. He, X. Li, and Z. Wang, "Compact dual-/tri-/quad-band bandpass filters with independently frequency-tunable and switchable passbands," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 13, No. 4, 322-334, 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078720001130
4. Tang, W. S., B. J. Xiang, S. Y. Zheng, and Y. L. Long, "Design of wideband/dual-band bandpass filter using a vias and slots loaded sector circular patch resonator," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 7, Jul. 2021.
5. Xu, W., K. X. Ma, and C. Y. Du, "Design and loss reduction of multiple-zeros dual-band bandpass filter using SISL," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 68, 1168-1172, Oct. 2021.
6. Zhu, Y. X., J. Zhang, J. Cheng, H. P. Zhu, J. Hu, and X. Tian, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter with flexible passband frequencies and sharp skirt using cross coupling and mixed magnetic and electric coupling," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 6, Apr. 2021. doi:10.1002/mmce.22646
7. Wang, J. P., L. Wang, Y. X. Guo, Y. X. Wang, and D. G. Fang, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter with controllable harmonic response for dual-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 1525-1533, Apr. 2012.
8. Maleki, S. J. and M. Dousti, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter using microstrip meander loop and square loop resonators," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 9, 1342-1348, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1587/elex.9.1342
9. Dai, X. W., C. H. Liang, and Z. X. Chen, "Novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using nested microstrip meander-loop resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 836-838, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23199
10. Quddious, A., et al., "Dynamically reconfigurable SIR filter using rectenna and active booster," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 4, 1504-1515, Jan. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2019.2891524
11. Gόmez-García, R., L. Yang, J.-M. Muñoz-Ferreras, and D. Psychogiou, "Selectivity-enhancement technique for stepped-impedance-resonator dual-passband filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 7, 453-455, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2019.2916458
12. Faisal, M., S. Khalid, M. U. Rehman, and M. A. Rehman, "Synthesis and design of highly selective multi-mode dual-band bandstop filter," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 43316-43323, Mar. 2021. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3065729
13. Wu, Y.-L., C. Liao, and X.-Z. Xiong, "A dual-wideband bandpass filter based on E-shaped microstrip SIR with improved upper-stopband performance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 141-153, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071802
14. Zhang, R., C.-H. Shao, and D. Peroulis, "A new adaptive reconfigurable bandpass filter with flexible resonance control," Proceeding of European Microwave Conference, 539-542, Madrid, Spain, Sept. 2018.
15. Fan, M., K. Song, L. Yang, and R. Gόmez-Garcia, "Frequency-reconfigurable input-reflectionless bandpass filter and filtering power divider with constant absolute bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 68, No. 7, 2424-2428, Jan. 2021.
16. Song, K., M. Fan, and Y. Fan, "Novel reconfigurable bandpass filter with wide tunable bandwidth," Proceeding of IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium, 1-3, Guangzhou, China, Aug. 2019.
17. Wang, R., T. Tang, S. Z. Jing, and Y. Fan, "Switch controlled 4 bands band pass filter with two E-shaped SIRs," Proceeding of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series Advanced Materials Processes RF THz Applications, 10-12, Chongqing, China, 2021.